Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hearing lamb suckle  (Read 1968 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
Hearing lamb suckle
« on: May 06, 2017, 09:15:18 pm »
Hi all

Our little lamb is now 5 hours old. He goes to the teat and Mum let's him but we hear him slurping quite loudly. Is that normal or is he having trouble latching on?

I've tried doing the stand up test with him a couple times and he stand and goes over to mum to feed but he doesn't stretch. His belly doesn't look round but it also doesn't look sunken in. Seems to be between nicely full and starving.

Do I need to check mum has milk? She bagged up nicely. Or do I need to give him some colostrum? Not wanting to interfer too much but also don't want him to go down hill.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Hearing lamb suckle
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2017, 09:21:12 pm »
Noisy slurping is fine  :D

Is he peeing?  A male lamb will most often pee when you disturb him.  If he's peeing, he's drinking ;).
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 09:27:33 pm »
Good little lamby :)

Hope it all goes wel for you and them.

Never too late for colutrum ( but it might be)

Some mums have big nips - is it a first timer or a newan?

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 09:44:47 pm »
Haven't seen/heard him pee but I haven't been keeping an eye out for that. Will look for it on the next check. He has pooped though.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2017, 11:29:42 pm »
If he's done more poop since the first, very dark meuconium, then he's fed. :thumbsup:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS