Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How often to check on lambing  (Read 5137 times)

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
How often to check on lambing
« on: May 05, 2017, 12:40:17 am »
 :wave:

Our first ewe is due to lamb 7th May  :excited: with the other 3 due 3 weeks after. It is their first time as well as ours.

We have half the polytunnel set up for lambing over night, they will happily come in for a few nuts and then we will pen them in to make night checks easier, during the day we will just check on them regularly. They are castlemilks.

My question is how regularly? Is it that someone should be out there all the time, every 2 hours, every 5? I seem to be missing this piece of information in my reading and I don't want to be tiring me and OH out without need, and disturbing the sheep. We also have a security camera that can see in the dark that we are setting up in there for remote checks.

So how often do you check on your sheep when they are due to lamb?

Dans - Nervous and excited all rolled into one.
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
Re: How often to check on lambing
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 06:49:05 am »
When I've lambed ( large commercial flocks) regular checks throughout the day and then last check at about 10:30-11:00 and first check at 5:30-6:00.

However, some will check throughout the night.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 07:15:00 am »
Twice a day for me ---- lambing 1000 ewes----8/9 am and 5/6 pm

Loose very few lambs due to me not being there

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 11:41:38 am »
Primitives are, in my experience, best left to get on with it, and you get more problems caused by incarcerating them than you do by leaving them alone.

However, there will always - always - be something that wouldn't have gone wrong if you'd done it the other way.  So it's important to do whatever you feel is best in your situation, so that you don't beat yourself up too much when the inevitable happens.

You've got small numbers and you didn't sponge, I think?  So you would not expect to have two or more lamb on the same night?  (Though it can of course still happen.).  In which case, the main risks of lambing indoors are needing assistance lambing (rare with primitives); mother not licking lamb and lamb dying inside sack (more common with first timers); mother ignoring lamb / not letting it suckle (so intervention needed within 2-4 hours to get lamb colostrum); other ewes, or its own mother, damaging lamb (more common with first timers, especially horned ones.)

In your situation, if you're sure you want them indoors overnight (and I understand why you would prefer that for your and their first time), then, as newbies, I would check every two hours, and would have two large pens plus the small lambing pens.  I'd put all the ewes in the one big pen, then if one looked like she was planning on lambing I'd move all the other ewes into the other big pen, so she's on her own in the spot she's picked, but next to and able to see and smell the other ewes, and still in a big space.  Keep on with the two hourly checks until she's really starting, then more frequently in case she needs assistance lambing. Hands off until lambs are born, licked, and are suckling, unless there's cause for concern.  Once she's accepted them suckling, you can move her into a lambing pen with them.  Intervene too soon and she may not bond with them, and may even beat them up. 

The reason for the larger space is that if she does beat them up, she's less likely to really damage them.  In a small pen, they can't get away, plus she has the sides of the pen to beat them against.  Sorry to be so graphic, but I've seen it with horned first timers lambing indoors and out.

The reason for putting all the other ewes in a different pen once one is preparing to lamb is to stop them all getting giddy and silly, interfering with the bonding, and possibly damaging the newborn lambs.  It can happen outdoors too, but if there is a big enough area, in general the new mum-to-be will have gone off to a private spot well away from the others. 

The reason for not putting her into a lambing pen until the lambs are licked and have suckled (assuming she lets them suckle) is to not interfere with the bonding process.  I've seen more problems with first timers due to the stress of being moved away from the chosen spot and incarcerated in a small space with these strange tiny, bleating, snuffly questing things, than are caused by the mother being in a larger space and able to evade the lambs more easily. 

Quite likely, some or all of your ewes, being first timers, will fidget and evade the lambs' attempts to suckle at first.  Again it's a judgement call when and if to intervene.  If she's getting cross and starting to attack them, you may decide to pen her then - but make a safe place for the lambs to get away from her if she continues to attack them.  Often the aggressive phase lasts only a while, and usually stops once one lamb successfully suckles.  Often this is the first born when she's distracted licking the second.  So the second lamb is able to get on suckling more easily, she now being used to it. 

Remember that it's best for them to get colostrum in the first 2-6 hours, so I'd generally intervene if the first lamb is 2 hours old and she's still not letting them suckle.  I'd also intervene if either lamb seems to be giving up trying - they need colostrum, and the energy boost it gives them, soon if this happens.  Generally a shot of colostrum (even 50mls of formula) gives them enough energy, and renewed purpose, and they'll get on trying more persistently after.

What will you do if one is starting to lamb outside when you want to bring them all in for the night?  It's better for her to let her lamb in the spot she's picked (and they often pick the spot a day or two before they lamb), and it will stress her to move her once she's made a start.  But if you couldn't manage to help if there were a problem if you left her outside...  One of those judgements you have to make for yourself.

It's scary and exciting all at the same time, I know.  You'll be fine :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 02:34:37 pm »
Hi Dans- a couple of things that happened this year with my Castlemilks.

1) ewe 1 day from lambing tried to steal newborn lamb (easy fix is to separate mum and baby into a pen).
2) prolapsed ewe (prolapse replaced and harnessed). Ewe lambed 1 alive and 2nd was stuck (and died)- had to be pulled out. Possibly if checking was constant it may have been saved(?). Anyway- got 10 lambs from 7 ewes.

Mine started lambing 14 days from their 'due' date and were done in 3 days (just when I was in hospital!). Are yours 'bagging up' yet? I would bet that you have some time to go. Once you see the signs of lambing from the 1st you'll know what to look for. Generally it happens at dusk and a bit later.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 02:45:24 pm »
We bring our ewes indoors a week before the first lambs are due, check every couple of hours through the day and then at around 9.00 p.m., 2.00 a.m. and 6.00 a.m. (2.00 a.m. checker alternates with others, so someone gets a good night's sleep).  As soon as we see the first sign of lambing down (waterbag, pawing the ground, restlessness, etc., or "dropping" in the case of the Southdowns, when a hollow appears in front of their pelvis) they're penned into a freshly bedded pen at one side of the shed they're already in.  We've culled out poor mothering and other lambing problems, without mercy, over five generations now and problems are rare, but they still like to surprise us - sometimes by being found licking off the second of twins after we've just popped indoors for a coffee.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 04:10:07 pm »
we check every 3 - but sometimes we miss it ;)

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 08:35:41 pm »
Every 4 hours unless one looks close. At night I did last check at 11 and if everything quiet left until 3-4am. I preferred to check in the early hours as I can get back to sleep after I come back in... if I checked at 5.30/6am I'll generally stay up then.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 09:49:57 pm »
I check regularly when I'm around, but wouldn't get up in the night unless my last check before bed showed one 'imminent' (waters broken/looking to nest/ gone off by herself sort of thing). They usually do it fine by themselves and whilst there is a small element of risk of something going wrong when your not there, unless you've got a large flock, chances are you'll be breaking your sleep for nothing.

Also, if I'm there I get all neurotic and thinking that maybe it's taking too long, maybe I should be intervening when in face it's all OK. The main advantage of being around and keeping an eye on them is that I'm gradually getting a feel for what's 'normal' (normal seems to include quite a large range of time and behaviour).

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 10:30:31 am »
Thank you all.

We decided on 2 hourly checks last night (although by the time we got out of bed, dressed and to the sheep it was more like 3 hourly. I move slow at that time of night!

We didn't sponge but the 3 ewes that were caught first and second cycle were caught in a 36 hour period in the second cycle (am, pm, am) so we are expecting them to be fairly close together. This girl (Arya) was only caught in the first cycle and the scanner said she was carrying a bigger lamb than the others and expected her to lamb first which fits with our raddle paint. She's having a single so she's our first experience.

I think our security camera may be a bit of a bad thing. I spent a crazy amount of time last night watching them, which is good for getting to know what is normal.

We decided to go with bringing them in a night to make the night checks a bit easier on us, there's lighting and we can clear the way for trip hazards (my husband walks with a stick and doesn't have very good balance). If a ewe is already getting ready to lamb when we take them in for the night we will leave them out and just check her there, at least, while it was still light, we'll have found where she is.

It's the possibility of not bonding (we'll be staying very hands off to avoid affecting that) and the possibility of not being licked off that I am most worried about. How quickly does a ewe need to lick a lamb off? I.e. at which point do I need to give it a rub down if she's not making moves?

Arya is bagging up, its actually quite good having 2 ewes that didn't get caught by the tup as the difference is stark, even in one of the ones due at the end of the month who hasn't bagged up much. Our ewe carrying twins (Aeryn) is due at the end of the month but is huge and I'm not sure she can bag up much more. She's got more milk than the one due today/tomorrow and the teats are big and sticking out so much more than any others. Can a ewe be covered by the tup even if she is already pregnant? She was definately painted in the first and second cycle, but I'm wondering if she will pop for her first tupping due date. She had me panicking last night on the video camera as she was 'talking' to her sides, kicking her belly occasionally, pawing at the ground and occassionally lifting her head up and looking at the sky. I thought it was Arya until we went out to check. Nothing came of it though, so I guess variations of normal. Or as my husband said, figeting due to being heavily pregnant. Apparently I was quite figety in late pregnancy!

Our lambing area is one big area with a 6ftx6ft pen set aside for mothering up and extends out of the polytunnel so they can get outside if they need, they aren't very used to being inside. If we get more than one needing a mothering up pen we'll reconfigure. We should be able to split it off into where a ewe is lambing and another area to give her space.

[member=10275]Fieldfare[/member] wow 14 days early? And you were so hoping it wouldn't clash with the operation. Sod's law I guess. Glad it went ok though.

Dans
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 10:41:11 am by Dans »
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 07:06:35 pm »
We always say that the sheep don't read the text books ;). And I have absolutely had ewes I was sure had returned to the tup lamb to the first cycle date.

You're lambing indoors so you're not really worried about a lamb getting chilled if it's not licked off, as you would for an outdoor lambing on a cold or especially a wet cold night.  Your concerns would be:

A) if the lamb has the sack over its nose and mouth so can't breath.  Once it's lifted and shaken its head, and/or blared, then you know the airways are clear.  If the ewe gives birth lying down, the cord usually won't break until she stands up, so the lamb doesn't need to breath until the mother stands up. Then, however, it needs to breath within a minute or so, so if you think it may have the cowl over its head, get up closer and check, and get in and clear the nose and mouth if necessary.

B) if the ewe isn't licking the lamb she isn't bonding with it.  If she's just lying there doing nothing, ignoring the lamb, you may need to get in and rub some of the birth fluids over the ewe's mouth and nose, so that she has to lick her face and gets the taste and smell of them.  In general, as soon as she's done that, she looks for the lamb and starts to lick it properly.  If she's shattered from a long or difficult birth, she may need you to pull the lamb around to her nose so she can smell it and reach it without standing up - but usually they stand up pretty much right away, turn around and start licking, without any intervention.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS