Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Incubating dragon eggs  (Read 5996 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Incubating dragon eggs
« on: April 01, 2017, 07:29:35 am »
Hi folks,

I just bought some hatching dragon eggs from Ebay. As recommended, I've got them set up on a bed of sand in our big incubator, and have set it going at 40% RH and 32 degC:

I was wondering if any of you had kept dragons before, and could give me some tips on how to rear them?  They're Indonesian dwarf dragons, so although they start off quite small, they'll be about the size of a goose when fully grown:

I was thinking of maybe digging them a cave eventually, with an aviary around the entrance, but then I read online that they usually dig their own. Also, I know I'll need to keep them away from anything combustible (no straw bedding for these guys!).

Any other hints and tips?

Thanks in advance!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Incubating dragon eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 07:45:56 am »
Wow - fantastic womble - you will make a lot of money selling the droppings.
As you probably know one teaspoon of dragon droppings added to your normal compost and left for 5 years will give you a whole load of old sh......  er compost      :innocent:
If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 08:39:02 am »
Bill Weasley, Harry Potters brother in law is your go to expert on dragons!!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 08:39:37 am »
Sorry, only kept Welsh dragons here but good luck with them.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 10:04:15 am »
Cool! Thanks for the tips!

I'd love some Welsh dragons, but I've heard they can get a bit antsy at this time of year, when the 6-nations is on.

Is Bill Weasley a member on TAS then?  I'll drop him a PM  :thumbsup: .

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 10:21:35 am »
I can see that this thread will "Drag On" and "Drag On" and that your expectations might disappear in a puff of smoke Womble!

Q

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 10:32:03 am »
Oops.....  I showed my 5yr old grandson the pictures and he is currently waiting excitedly for the postman to deliver his Dragon eggs and has been planning where he is going to have the cave.

If you cant beat 'em then at least bugger 'em about a bit.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 12:21:13 pm »
Dragons live in weyrs, which are smooth rocky caves, high enough up that they can take off by just toppling over the edge.  The rocky floor is easily swilled down by their partner (you) when they have finished devouring their prey.  But Womble - you can only have a single dragon.  Daenerys' three is just plain greedy and they seem to fight among themselves a lot.
I don't think your incubator is going to be hot enough, and the Tupperware tray will just melt.  They need to be kept in a brazier for several weeks, then laid beside a sacrifice - sorry, it has to be your spouse - and the whole house burned to the ground.

But I'm sure it will be worth it, as long as you remember my quote below - Draco dormiens numquam titillandus.

I recognise your dragon pic because it's one I hatched earlier  :yippee:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 01:32:49 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 12:53:44 pm »
Hmmm, it seems we're going to have to make some sacrifices around here then (quite literally).

Maybe I should have done some more research before jumping into this....... still, that's never stopped us before, and things have always worked out. Besides, I just kept thinking.... hey, "Imagine Dragons"  ;D .

BTW Fleecewife, do you keep the natural unimproved top-knotted strains then?  I have to agree, they're far superior to the faster growing continental dragons we see so many of these days  ;) .

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 01:26:20 pm »
Please nobody start breeding the 'micro Dragon'  people get quite uppity about  people selling micros  :innocent:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2017, 01:33:34 pm »
Must be a slow lambing day today  :innocent:

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 01:36:39 pm »
Is sex determined by temperature during incubation (as with alligators) or is it pre-determined? Just wondering if a group of females might be better raised together than all-males.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 01:57:21 pm »
I'm not a total expert, for example the only Welsh dragon I know is Idris, Ivor's chum, whose grandfather sleeps under the mountain Cader Idris.  RAF planes from Valley never fly right over Cader Idris in case they waken him, with dire results.  True  :)

The dragons with which I'm most familiar are the Dragons of Pern, now bred on a large farm in Eire.  They communicate directly, mind to mind, with their partner, so you no longer have any personal secrets.  They are a very fierey species and need a whole lot of fuel.  However, they are huge, and can be ridden.  These dragons need no training, whereas the smaller and very varied Scandinavian species most definitely do, to the extent there are training manuals published and even a DVD to help you get it right.  They go through quite a few sheep, but mainly eat fish., and prefer to be ridden by children.

There is an American sub species, of which I'm only familiar with one very large gorgeous sapphire blue female.

Fortunately Daenerys has the only known specimens of the Targarian Dragon, as they are bad tempered and eat humans.

The Chinese dragons are all extinct now - they were overbred and just became too contorted, just like some of the Chinese goldfish and koi.  I'm unfamiliar with the Indonesian sub species Womble, but I hope for your vet bills that they are not closely related to the Chinese ones.  I think they are probably very similar to the micro dragons Backinwellies has mentioned, so be prepared for them to outgrow their housing.  At least they will be vegetarian so you don't need to watch your sheep, but your veg patch is going to suffer, as will your neighbours' cereal crops.

Oh how could I forget Lady Sybil's Swamp Dragons in Ankh-Morpork.  They are small and have big problems with getting their flamethrowing just right, so they keep blowing themselves up.  The species is beginning to mutate, with Errol, who shoots his flame backwards.  Perhaps they will have more chance of success.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 02:03:15 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

zwartbles

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 08:26:33 pm »
It seems dragons  turn up everywhere!!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2017, 01:46:04 pm »
Thanks for the constructive replies everybody - I was really nervous about posting this in case everyone just thought it was a daft April Fool's joke, but I needn't have worried.

Fleecewife - thanks for all the tips. I've bought a couple of sacks of octarine crumb to start them off on when they hatch. Wish me luck!  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS