Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bleeding lamb  (Read 2251 times)

danconfessed

• Joined Aug 2013
Bleeding lamb
« on: March 31, 2017, 09:58:54 pm »
Hi guys,

Bit late to call the vet tonight so thought I would ask you all with your wealth of knowledge.

On Monday I had a ewe with twins. She was having real difficulty lambing so I had to intervene. They was both in the wrong position so helped both out. Quite a lot of blood so I gave her 6.5ml of antibiotics incase of infection.
She seems fine and is a great mum.

Tonight I realised there is still fresh blood coming from her back end. Is that normal when there was an intervention or should I be concerned?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Bleeding lamb
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 10:13:20 pm »
I wouldn't be too worried if it's just a slight show of blood. But if there's loads coming out so it leaves a continuous trail on the ground and shows no sign of slowing down, then I would be worried and maybe ring the vet. You might be lucky and just be able to get some advice before he/she goes to bed.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 08:09:20 am »
Have had this occasionally on and off for up to 10 days. A dribble, not a lot though.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 08:22:38 am »
Had this with two of ours with their first time and our first time lambing. Had to intervene with both as the lambs were in the wrong position and it was quite difficult to correct them. Both had a very light discharge for about a day or two but were fine when turned out in the field. I have noticed this morning one has it again but it just looks a dribble or two, the mum seems fine, eating, walking around, happily feeding lambs so I'll just keep an eye on her. As others have said if it was more than just a bit of bloody discharge then I would call the vet.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 08:26:38 am »
I agree, some cleanse almost immediately, others have a slight discharge for several days.  Bright, fresh blood would see me consulting the vet, however.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS