Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Butter - what am I doing wrong!?  (Read 2524 times)

newtoitall

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Herefordshire
Butter - what am I doing wrong!?
« on: March 26, 2017, 07:25:03 pm »
Recently I bought a cream separator, one of the Ukrainian ones for when we have an excess of goat's milk. As we don't have an excess at the moment I bought some organic whole cow's milk to practice. After 3 attempts I have got the hang of separating the cream but when I tried making butter it has tiny  blobs of what I assume is butter but it never splits properly and I just have fatty milk. I was using my electric mixer with the fine metal blade and that goes round the spindle as well as the actual beater bit turning. I tried when the cream was still warm and thought that might be the problem so then I put it in the fridge for a couple of hours but it's still not working. It has been going for a total of 2 hours. Should I give up and give it to the dog - what have I done wrong?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Butter - what am I doing wrong!?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 08:09:33 pm »
If you bought homogenised milk I don't think I'd expect to get butter from it.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

newtoitall

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 03:26:23 pm »
Thanks, I did wonder. Is it different using homogenised milk to goat's milk which, as I understand, is naturally homogenised?

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 08:25:45 pm »
impressed you got the cream sep to work out 2 times we ended up with milk pouring out and the handle is stiff to turn.  Puts me off trying again as milk pouring all over the table, floor etc. 

Never been so scared of a gadget

newtoitall

• Joined Jun 2013
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 03:55:34 pm »
Hi Farmers wife,

The reason it took me 3 goes was the first two were a disaster. I bought an electric separator so don't have handle to turn but I also had milk going everywhere. The 1st time I had left out the little black band that goes under the main turning bit (technical aren't I?), the second time I hadn't screwed everything together properly. Still it made me clean the kitchen.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS