Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Beginner sheep keeper - lame sheep  (Read 5323 times)

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
Beginner sheep keeper - lame sheep
« on: March 17, 2017, 08:14:10 am »
Yesterday I noticed that two of my ewes (primitive breed) are lame on the front. Just caught them this morning and can't see anything in their feet, although I'm new to sheep keeping so could well be missing something, but they are clean, no redness, nothing looks untoward and don't look overgrown.

They had Heptavac P on Tuesday- is there any connection? They are both in lamb, due mid April.

I will go out and purple spray all feet now. Is there anything else I should do? Do I need to call a vet?

They're penned in a shelter at the moment, but presumably I should let them out as they'll keep cleaner outside? They're not easy to round up again though!!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Beginner sheep keeper - lame sheep
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 08:19:23 am »
some have reported lamness after vaccination  - no doubt due to a local reaction. were they vaccinated under  the skin ( s/c)  or intra muscularly (i/m)?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 09:11:00 am »
I had that happen with mine when they were vaccinated in the bare area under the front leg. It sorted itself in a couple of days. If they were vaccinated in the leg more likely another cause.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 09:17:03 am »
Vaccines are generally injected i/m, antibiotics s/c.  I suggest keeping an eye on them and consulting your vet if it worsens.  I try to handle ewes as little as possible in late pregnancy - they don't need the hassle.

wannabesmallholder

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 09:40:11 am »
Thanks v much for replies. They were injected subcutaneously, in the bare patch of skin where the leg joins the body. Thanks - will keep an eye on them.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 10:43:18 am »
I would not turn a pregnant sheep over unless it is a dire emergency.... so any lame sheep will be observed for a couple of days (if she is otherwise fine and eating) and I have found that quite a few just get back to normal within this period (a frosty morning after some muddy conditions will always guarantee a lame ewe or two... at least in my fields). If it persists, and I think the ewe is going to stop eating/moving about I will get them in and check the leg with her standing up and just lifting the leg. But no trimming, if scald (usual finding) just a quick spray with Terramycin spray (not the purple stuff) or if it looks like footrot an Alamycin LA (I/M) injection.

This late in pregnancy I would actually leave them - even if they are lame, less stress for them and the lambs, especially with primitives that may not be easy to catch.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 10:50:12 am »
Vaccines are generally injected i/m, antibiotics s/c. 
Reverse that - shows what the 2.00 a.m. lambing shed check does to addle your brain before you get in the rhythm of things!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 10:51:11 am »
Yes, I was just going to say that, MF!

To add to what Anke said, I really struggled to check our ewes' feet by getting them to lift a leg. However, I found out that this is mainly because they don't want to be off-balance, so I've found a way now of getting them up against a wall and supporting their weight with my knee whilst I check them. Back legs are still a struggle (they hate that, and will try to kick), but for tame sheep, this works well for front feet.

BTW, Alamycin LA can apparently cause discolouration of the bones and teeth of lambs if it's given during pregnancy.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 11:13:53 am »
They were injected subcutaneously, in the bare patch of skin where the leg joins the body.

Don't do it there in future then - the label does say "The vaccine should be administered by subcutaneous injection in the lateral side of the upper neck".  I can't see how injecting by the leg is any easier than in the neck.  Any injection can cause a local reaction (as it does in humans), so be careful when selecting your spot :) .

Vaccines are generally s/c and antibiotics are generally i/m ... but always always read the label.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 11:41:09 am »
I can't see how injecting by the leg is any easier than in the neck. 

It may not be a good idea due to local reactions or abscesses forming, but let's be honest, it would be WAY easier to inject "in the bare patch of skin where the leg joins the body", since there isn't any wool there.

Our Zwartbles were a nightmare to vaccinate a couple of weeks ago - took me ages of digging through wool before I could find the sheep underneath!

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 12:08:56 pm »
Its not the first time i've heard of sheep going lame after hepta vac as i have never had a problem I wondered what could be contributing to the lamesness . it does sound as if its the injection site.

Do you need to see the skin to inject Womble?  I just make sure the skin is tented before injecting.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 12:11:04 pm »
Always heptavac vaccinated in the neck- if you use the proper sterimatic gun it makes life so much easier.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 12:34:54 pm »
Ah, do you just go in through the wool then, Kanisha? If you do that, how can you be sure you're not just injecting into the fleece? I was trying to part the fleece to expose the skin, but of course then it's difficult to make the 'tent' in the right place.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 12:39:15 pm »
Yep through the wool.
I make sure of my landmarks and if necessary can use a finger to push into the area I intend to inject to make sure i'm about to go in in the correct place.  You can usually tell once you have gone through the skin there is a slight pop through the needle. If not sure  then i will waggle ( very gently)  the syringe to be certain that the needle is firmly anchored in the skin and not free in the wool.

Take care not to go through the skin and out the other side. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:41:18 pm by kanisha »

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 12:43:14 pm »
In our case it was the Vet that did the Injection and they chose the site not me!  When  I subsequently asked if the lameness was associated with the injection it was agreed it was a temporary stiffness as it is a brief inflammatory response to the injection. Should subside within 48 hours.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS