Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: The day has come!  (Read 1627 times)

Lorenza

• Joined Feb 2016
The day has come!
« on: March 17, 2017, 02:27:52 pm »
Hi all. The day has finally come where one of my old ewes has died for no reason what so ever!! The only thing I can think of is because she is 10 years old as was given to me by the lady I bought my flock off as a gift as she was cutting her numbers down!.

Anyway, this has left me in a pickle. How do I dispose of the body?? I know it's has to be disposed of properly so my question is will the vets take it and if not who does???

Based in North Wales and I am struggling to find any information about it !!

Thanks in advance to any suggestions!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: The day has come!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 03:00:16 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about your ewe  :bouquet:.

Does this help?: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/fallen-stock
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 03:16:33 pm »
You need to dispose of her body either through a licensed fallen stock disposal company or through Hunt kennels if you have any nearby.  You can take the body to the kennels but the knackerman will collect.  I suggest wrapping her securely in plastic bags or a plastic sheet and putting her somewhere cool that's secure from vermin and foxes.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 03:19:02 pm »
Google your nearest knacker's yard, put her in your vehicle and take her there, don't hang about otherwise you'll be travelling with all your windows open! Take your holding number and some dosh, mine charges £5 for a ewe.

Lorenza

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 03:20:50 pm »
Found a really helpful knacker man after doing lots of digging!! Collection Monday. For now she is wrapped safely in some plastic!
Thanks for all your help!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 03:49:04 pm »
Get a receipt from the knackerman, and put this in your flock book.

You can also join the National Fallen Stock Co, which is an organisation that does central billing for fallen stock, and will inform you of all the local collectors/centres in your area.  (http://www.nfsco.co.uk/)  This is handy if say you are at work during the week, then the knackerman can come collect and you don't have to worry about someone having to be there to pay him.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS