Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Opinions please  (Read 2236 times)

SuffolkK

• Joined Feb 2017
Opinions please
« on: March 16, 2017, 10:47:09 am »
Have turned ewes and lambs out on good grass and a couple of the ewes have a bit of a messy back end. WEC has been done and all ok. The problem is a couple of their lambs have now got very messy heads and faces!! Question is would you leave them like this or catch them and wash off best you can. Lambs are absolutely fine, very happy, feeding well and growing. Would be interested in peoples opinions please

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Opinions please
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 11:19:58 am »
I would probably leave them... because trying to catch my ewes and their lambs in a field is nigh on impossible :roflanim:  noticed this morning some of my ewes are mucky behind they are out on very good grass too and wormed before they went out. They have a hay rack out which they do pick at overnight which should help.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 11:47:55 am »
I would probably clean them off, because otherwise they'll only come up and wipe it on my trousers!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 12:54:59 pm »
I'd leave it. If it continues and they don't dry off I'd bring them in for a couple of days and cut it off.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 01:52:25 pm »
Simple.
If it offends you to see the lambs with mucky faces AND the lambs are easy to catch then just grab them and clean them.
If catching the lambs involves any degree of chasing then don't bother as the muck will come off in time anyway. To pointlessly chase lambs merely teaches them that they can evade you  fairly easily and there may be a time when it's helpful to catch them with minimum hassle.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

SuffolkK

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 02:08:53 pm »
Decision made - they can run around with mucky faces  ;D Many thanks for your replies

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 02:17:21 pm »
What you need is some rain :)

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 10:09:05 pm »
my question is WHY are the faces mucky? are they drinking from behind and /or pinching of another ewe? the lambs may not be coping as well as it looks....  :raining:  can you tell I'm a glass half empty kinda guy..
Ian

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS