Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ewe discharge  (Read 5384 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Ewe discharge
« on: March 15, 2017, 08:57:11 pm »
Our 6 girls are due to lamb next weekend (Friday / Saturday) but I have noticed one of them has a slight string of discharge hanging from behind this evening - Is this normal for (7-10 days pre lambing). They were sponged so no accidental early mating, good condition, she was relaxed, eating and wondering around with the others but has bagged up and is very large !
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 09:04:14 pm by crobertson »

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Ewe discharge
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 09:23:24 pm »
Hard to say without seeing the ewe , but normally no discharge .     7-10 days early is not uncommon different breeds have different gestation length's , hill breeds shorter  than terminals  and young sheep shorter than older .    My x gims will start lambing  before the ewes by 3days    my hill ewes bred pure  go to the ram on the 28th  yet always start lambing on the18th  circa 141 days gestation

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 07:53:35 am »
Several of mine have had a clear discharge a week before lambing.  Not profuse and once it has dropped off no sign it was there.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 08:54:08 am »
One of ours had a clear string dangling about a week before lambing. I asked a local shepherd to come and have a look.

He said that she hadn't started to lamb and wasn't sure what it was.

She was actually the last to lamb..... About 10 days later!

All was fine though.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 01:53:22 pm »
Thanks for that, it looks normal clear etc and the ewe is fine but thought best to double check, it's dropped off by this morning and now you would never know it was there.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 07:29:46 pm »
 A clear jelly string is quite common you see it more so in cattle , I see it very rarely in sheep but  I don't spend as much time with them on an individual  basis

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS