Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Geese  (Read 4375 times)

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
Geese
« on: August 01, 2008, 11:34:56 pm »
Some foxs have put a stop to my geese running free around the place as they will not go out unless we are with them and then only for a little gress and back in again. I asked my feed guy for feed for geese but they dont like it. They have bread and Qs but I dont think this is enought, can anyone tell me if I can get any other feed for them or anything that they would like and be good for them.

Hilbillie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • St. Mayeux, Brittany
Re: Geese
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 08:30:58 am »
Hi Wildman, what are Qs?  We give our geese bread, chopped carrots, apples and greens, ble (wheat) and chicken layers pellets.  They seem to like it all as it all gets eaten up and they are all looking healthy (they also have a huge field of grass to eat).
Hilary

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 10:06:26 am »
Hi Hilbille, Qs, Cucumbers, They have lots of grass on offer but will not go out of the yard to the grass unless we walk with them and then it is only for a few  mins. They used to be out from 6.30am until 9pm just coming into the yard from time to time. As they are not getting the grass as much as before I was looking for other types of food for them. We do give them L/Pellets as well.
Thank you for the reply.

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 12:52:56 pm »
Hi,

Why not take the geese out to the grass and stop them coming back in until you want them to. What do you think.

Dave

Cosmore

• Joined Jun 2015
  • Dorset
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 01:43:24 pm »
We feed ours mixed corn and layers pellets, they also graze the grass all day only being put in at night.
Regarding foxes, there are plenty round here but a good high stock fence has kept them out. Another idea is to use the electrified sheep netting around the grazing area.
If there is a persistant fox, the only real solution is to shoot it as it will breed and teach its offspring where the source of food (your geese/chickens/lambs etc.) is readily available.
I once, at a previous location, lost 20 Alysbury ducks to a recidivist fox who became quite brazen and would race in and grab a duck in front of you! I had no option but to kill it then the problem ended.
Sad to have to take a life, but unfortunately sometimes necessary for the sake of your own animals.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 09:49:45 pm »
Geese love rolled barley. Not expensive but they do need some greenery as well. Have you had any ideas about protecting them from the fox?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS