Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Single turkey poult  (Read 2727 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Single turkey poult
« on: June 16, 2015, 07:23:34 pm »
I have just hatched out a single poult from 6 eggs - 4 were infertile, not sure about the fifth and this was the only viable egg at 20 days so from that point of view it was good to have at least one hatch but I now have a problem.  I have contacted local breeders to see if any have turkey poults available but no joy yet. Would it work getting a couple of day old chicks to keep it company initially?  Not sure whether chicks could introduce blackhead or whether that only comes from adult birds outside and whether you could raise chicks on turkey crumb.  Any thoughts - or if anyone has a couple of v young poults within an hour of Reading please let me know.

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
Re: Single turkey poult
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 02:43:14 pm »
I'd get a couple of chicks for it, I run everything in one brooder except ducklings!

Will be fine on standard starter crumb.

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 04:32:27 pm »
Crikey Clansman, please explain that photo.
You seem to have very young chicks in with ones who look to be about 4 weeks old: is that right? How did you intro the babies without the older ones attacking them?
If that's do-able that would make my life a whole lot easier in a couple of weeks  :fc:
Is it time to retire yet?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:24:42 am »
Different breeds :) there's not much difference in ages.

I can't see the picture that I posted on my phone but probably quail, partridge and Scots Grey chickens in it?

It works ok for me, I keep them in there maybe three weeks then move them to a bigger brooder with bigger birds.

Three week old chickens can be a bit rough on day old quail, I see the odd one get stepped on but they're ok as far as fighting or attacking goes, they don't seem to bother with each other.

The turkeys should be hatching in another wee or so I'll hopefully have around 30 of them to add to the mix!

I've had allsorts in together this year, the incubators not been off since the 2nd of February :)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:43:50 pm by Clansman »

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 02:41:29 pm »

ok, the odd time I do let the the little ducklings in too :)

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 02:45:42 pm »
Sometimes it just gets too comfortable in there!  :excited:

Carey boy

• Joined May 2014
  • Caernarfon, North Wales
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 05:58:46 pm »
Hi,

Just couriers,but what are the problems with putting the ducklings in the brooder with the other birds?.

Dave

Kimbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Anglezarke, Lancashire
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 07:29:02 pm »
Are they REALLY roughly the same ages? :innocent: Some of those look like very little guys!
Is it time to retire yet?

Clansman

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Ayrshire
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 09:29:12 pm »
Hi,

Just couriers,but what are the problems with putting the ducklings in the brooder with the other birds?.

Dave

The mess they make! Some are ok but the larger breeds just seem to turn it into a swamp within a few hours and if tiny chicks like quail get wet at all they just chill and die.

I've got a special wee sloping brooder arrangement for ducklings to keep the water in one place.

Yes Kimbo, most in the first brooder are only a couple of weeks old.

A newly hatched Japanese quail chick is only around 7-9 grams

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS