Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Butter churn recommendations?  (Read 8732 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Butter churn recommendations?
« on: February 23, 2017, 01:45:42 pm »
Anyone got a domestic butter churn?  I've always just made butter for two in a jam jar before, but we are on a slightly larger scale here. 

Has anyone tried the Kilner ones?  http://www.johnlewis.com/kilner-butter-churner/p2005552?sku=234424514&s_kwcid=2dx92700016658220913&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=COzn_dSsptICFYXnGwodI-QCvw&gclsrc=aw.ds 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Butter churn recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 02:14:23 pm »
Not used a butter churner but I can do a bit larger amount in my food mixer. Works very well and is quicker too.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 04:23:59 pm »
Much the same as Bionic we use our kitchen aid and the beater.

So many ideas, not enough hours

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 07:45:55 am »
Well, we have a kitchen aid here, I shall have to give it a go!  Which beater do you use?  And can you get the butter properly clean in the mixer? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 09:16:42 am »
Well, mine is a kitchen aid too :-)

I just use the normal beater that looks a bit like a Mercedes sign. It separates very well but I drain the buttermilk and wash the butter separately under the tap. I then pat it about a bit with my butter paddles to get the excess water out and wipe with kitchen roll.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 11:15:36 am »
Well, mine is a kitchen aid too :-)

I just use the normal beater that looks a bit like a Mercedes sign. It separates very well but I drain the buttermilk and wash the butter separately under the tap. I then pat it about a bit with my butter paddles to get the excess water out and wipe with kitchen roll.

K beater :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 03:40:15 pm »
Clear as mud  ???  :roflanim: 

Will look at beaters and see if either look like a Mercedes sign (had to Google  :D) or a K.   And/or just have a go.

And do you wash your butter in the mixer, [member=74405]greenbeast[/member] ?  Or under the tap, like Bionic?

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 03:44:51 pm »
ha ha, sorry not made any butter yet (my Jersey is only 3 months old  :P

Just interjecting with the beater name as i have a kenwood

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2017, 05:56:50 pm »
We used the whisk with the kitchen aid but trial and error is best, we washed it through with the kitchen aid a couple of times and then by hand.

So many ideas, not enough hours

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 10:18:52 pm »
I just use my normal (John Lewis) hand-held mixer to make butter from my excess goats cream. Drain off buttermilk, add water, give it another stir/churn with the mixer, drain, repeat a few times. Then use a wooden spoon to squeeze out the excess water. I then freeze in smallish portions, as my cream is not pasteurised. If the cream as maybe a bit older before churning I usually salt, but I prefer unsalted butter.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS