Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chickys funeral  (Read 3048 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
chickys funeral
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:59:46 pm »
our first funeral tok place yesturday (chicky our little chick passed away)
well i didnt attend the funeral, i was on the holding grafting as allways.
the rest of the family was there on me behalf.
chicky was buried underthe tree in the kids garden.
grace drew a cute little picture of chicky and made a lovely cross to go on the grave.
they are really coming to understand that animals do get sick at times and die  :(
blimey i wish my parents were so towny and took the holding lifestyle path as it is such a powerfull tool
for teaching kids bout life.
im waffleing now
Langdon ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: chickys funeral
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 11:25:15 pm »
No you're not waffling - all very pertinent.  I agree, I wish we had got into smallholding earlier - my kids were adult by the time I met their step dad and bought our place.  But we always had dogs and cats so they did learn a bit as youngsters, and my grandchildren are learning now too.  Sorry to hear about Chicky!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 07:38:12 am »
Oh dear, poor chicky.

our children are learning the same - when the goat died they were more interested in what was going to happen to him and could we have him for dinner (!) everytime we lose a baby rabbit I swear they barely notice. I grew up in a big town (well London - pretty big!!) and would have loved this lifestyle as a kid  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

bamford6

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 01:14:24 pm »
very hard kids deal with it better than i do .i keep on thinking more dead birds .the bigger the set up the more problems . i have a big nursery for all the mothers broodis etc .we have lost more chicks with the broodis than the chicks in the boxes .this week alone 7 have gone .whot i triy to do is have 1 big hatch the 1 st or second off august thats it season over .that replaces all that have been lost .

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 01:46:51 pm »
Children are ever so flexible and resiliant.  When our dog died Harry buried a teddy with the dog and then wanteed the teddy back after about a week and now he wants the dog skull for his bone collection!

A couple of weeks ago my OH shot a Jackdaw and Harry wanted to try out his new watergun on the dead bird and had no compuction about propping it up on a table and was then thrilled when he shot the airgun pellet out of the Jackdaw.  Thankfully i was out that day!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 01:50:45 pm »
LOL - my girls have a collection of sheep/ram skulls they have found in the field as well as rabbit/bird bones, definately not princess types my 4!! I think its a good healthy attitude  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 02:34:49 pm »
Children deal with death much better than adults. My nurse friend was playing a game of chess with an 11 year old boy before a simple opp, he was called to be taken down and my nurse friend said, we will finnish the game when you come back and the boy said "Oh, I'm not comming back!!" and he didn't!!!

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 08:20:33 pm »
Oh Sandy, thats so sad!!!  But back to the subject in hand... we too have lost a chicken today, it was knocked down on the lane outside the house - its a no through road but there is work going on at the house at the end of the lane and the work van keeps bombing up and down at an obscene speed past here (our neighbours know about our kids and chickens and are far more careful) so we think thats the culprit although no-one has had the decency to own up!   Our deceased chicky has been buried under the hedge and his owner, my 14 year old son who came home from school with a temperature and a tummy bug  was not happy with the news I had to give him, poor thing!  OH is threatning to park his car across the road next time he hears anything approaching at speed up the lane !

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 08:55:25 pm »
Some tacks casually thrown over the hedge as it approaches might do the trick ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 09:08:10 pm »
Some tacks casually thrown over the hedge as it approaches might do the trick ;)

Try a large lump of wood instead, has more of a desired effect   ;)

Thought i'd killed my daft rabbit today after i accidently stepped out of the hut & stood on him   :o

After a swift shake down, he ran away into his hutch & started munching ... phew   ::)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 09:59:21 pm »
A couple of weeks ago my OH shot a Jackdaw and Harry wanted to try out his new watergun on the dead bird and had no compuction about propping it up on a table and was then thrilled when he shot the airgun pellet out of the Jackdaw.  Thankfully i was out that day!!

Had to laugh at that!  love it....

we lost another ex-bat last week, :(  though on the upside our neighbour then gave us a warren hen who needed some friends!
Little Blue

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS