Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: another natural hatching question  (Read 3177 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
another natural hatching question
« on: June 16, 2010, 07:02:26 am »
I remember from when we had a broody duck in a nesting box that I sprayed the eggs with warm water towards the end. do you have to do that with chickens' eggs too or only to ducks' ? This hen just does not seem to go out at all to eat, drink, have a wee walk, I could not even see yet how many eggs she's sitting on! :chook: :chook: :&>

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: another natural hatching question
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 07:13:36 am »
No need to spray the eggs.  Luckily the hen does everything for you....Towards the end the broody hen won't move much at all.

When are they due to hatch?  Look forward to seeing some pictures  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 07:21:23 am »
it's only been 4 or 5 days but she does not seem to move at all since she started. Do they eat and drink?? The duck did go off every now and then so I could have a peek and spray/candle the eggs...
I'll probably just miss the births but i'll ask hubby to take pictures. :chook: :chook: :&>

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:11:11 am »
I don't have a lot of experience, but mine didn't seem to move much at all.  I only rarely actually saw them get off, but I knew they had moved once or twice during the day because the food and water I put near had gone down and there was a 'poo' about...usually a big one!! 

They seem to go into a 'trance' and just get on with their job.

Good luck with it......It's very exciting when you see that first little chick's head appear from under her wing  :love: :chook:
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:41:35 am »
Put food and water beside her.  She WILL need some sustenance in 3 weeks.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 09:45:38 am »
there's no room In her box and if it's in the house, the others might make mess. There is always food and water just otsider their house, will that be close enough, Annie? :chook: :&>

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 09:51:09 am »
She got out this morning to eat and do her giant poo when I was around, so i could see what's been happening: there are 7 eggs and definitely not all hers as they are different shades of brown. Yesterday there was her sister with her in the box so I had my suspicions  ;D Number 3 was sitting on a single marble egg yesterday in the second box :) :chook:
Can you candle brown eggs? The shell looks more solid than the ducks'...

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 09:54:05 am »
Hi Kerstin, you can candle brown eggs and I have a candler if you want to borrow. :)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 10:24:28 am »
I'd love to, James, thanks! I used to do it under my jumper with a torch, which works alright with the duck eggs, but I'll try it the proper way...I can only drop it off again the week after next though as I'll be away and Peter will be left with hatching chicks  :'(
I will bring Tara again next week Wednesday for lunch around 12.45, as she's got music exams (2 on one day!) on again. A friend might be joining us. :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 10:33:26 am »
That's fine and not a problem.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 10:01:45 pm »
Just watch that the others don't continue to lay into the nest, best to mark the ones she has been sitting on with indelible felt tip pen (pencil just rubs off), so that you know. Otherwise you don't know when they should be hatching.

I usually take mine out mid-afternoon, when the rest are having their corn and make sure they get some, have a drink and do their enormous smelly pile of..... Then you can also check the eggs (and remove any new ones).

Having said that I have had a few broodies now that start sitting and then get bored after a few days, or keep chucking out the eggs they don't like... Prefer to use the incubator now.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS