Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ifor williams trailer - advice please  (Read 2562 times)

Taliesin

• Joined Aug 2016
ifor williams trailer - advice please
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:19:21 pm »
I've been looking to buy a 2nd hand 10ft flatbed trailer for some time. It's to be used on our horticultural holding and to help with our self build home. I've been given different advice, though most people recommend the older ifor williams trailers for some reason.

I've seen a 10 x 6' trailer for sale in England. It would mean a good journey from West Wales to get there and would appreciate any advice from those who have owned or used similar trailers.

The price is £1400 and the condition looks pretty good. It's a 2005 model with drop sides and a tall  tail gate. I wasn't looking for a tail gate as we don't keep livestock, though maybe it has some good uses as a ramp.

I'm told the electrics work and the suspension is good. The deck appears to be made from wood or ply and I wondered about this, say compared to galvanised steel.

Any advice welcome.

Thank you

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: ifor williams trailer - advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 04:51:09 pm »
Sorry I can't help with most of your queries but a tail gate is very useful if you are putting big things in that you don't want to lift over sides or for running a wheelbarrow in.

I think that the ones with galvanised floors are simply a galvanised plate laid over the wood if that helps.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 05:57:22 pm »
Price seems about right for good condition , if the electrics all work when your vehicle is attached then great .   Tyres / brakes /bearings / suspension are all fairly easily fixed if any problems . IF you don't have the long tail gate then you would need ramps , so I would look at the long tailgate as a bonus , the wooden floor is standard and you just cover it in  plate

Taliesin

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 07:56:54 pm »
Thanks, that's reassuring. Do you know where I can source floor plates if needs be?

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 06:43:44 am »
I imagine any ifor Williams dealer should be able to supply and fit a new bed.

Alternatively there will be a metal supplier or fabricator nearby that will be able to supply it.  I would avoid steel though, it would add a lot of weight to the trailer.  Aluminium checker plate is what is normally used.

Taliesin

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 11:58:00 am »
I imagine any ifor Williams dealer should be able to supply and fit a new bed.

Alternatively there will be a metal supplier or fabricator nearby that will be able to supply it.  I would avoid steel though, it would add a lot of weight to the trailer.  Aluminium checker plate is what is normally used.

That's good advice which I shall gladly heed. Cheers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS