Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tools for preparing vegetable area  (Read 1827 times)

certain-death

• Joined Dec 2016
Tools for preparing vegetable area
« on: January 02, 2017, 10:23:02 am »
Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice on what I need to get to prep ground for a large(ish) vegatable area.

The ground is currently grass, I have a tractor (135) and I'm looking to buy the tools to remove the ground and prep for planting mixed vegetables.

Does the ground have to be ploughed or will a cultivator remove the grass and prep enough for planting?

What is best to use on the following years to re prep the ground?

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Tools for preparing vegetable area
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 12:15:05 pm »
How large is large ie what area will you cultivate?
If you plough, then eventually many of the grasses etc will reappear.  On a farm scale, the ground is sprayed first and all vegetation allowed to die down before ploughing.  As this is for you to grow vegetables on I can't imagine you will be wanting to cover the whole area with poisons.  You could cover with large tarpaulins for a year before ploughing to kill off the vegetation, but that would mean postponing starting your garden for a whole year.
On a garden scale, the usual thing is to lift off the turf (you can probably hire a machine for that).  This is not wasted, as you stack the turves upside down and cover the heap.  In a year or two you have some wonderful loamy topsoil to spread back onto your garden.
Once you have cleared the ground, a PTO mounted rotavator passed a couple of times over the area will prepare it for planting, whilst not disturbing the soil structure too much.  If your soil is not deep, then ploughing simply brings subsoil to the top, which you don't want.  The rotavator can be used to work in manure too, and will be invaluable in future years.  This depends on the area you will be cultivating of course - a wheeled garden sized rotavator might do, but does not cultivate so regularly or deeply.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 12:17:10 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 07:55:48 pm »
Spend the money on a bulk load of compost :)

http://www.charlesdowding.co.uk/no-dig-growing/allotments/

NB - garden only 9 months old at time of filming

https://youtu.be/HATC3rG6NbQ

Edit - ploughing / rotavating will chop and spread weed roots, and disturb the entire seedbank (you'll get more coming up and germinating. I'd mow it short, to make life easier and use that to start a compost heap.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 07:58:33 pm by YorkshireLass »

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 10:37:20 pm »
Or cover it over with a piece of silage sheet (or weed membrane) and wait for the grass underneath to die then plough /cultivate it in

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS