Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hello and advice please  (Read 4814 times)

desigreeneyes

• Joined Jun 2010
Hello and advice please
« on: June 14, 2010, 07:44:02 pm »
Hello all,

We are very new to this and, in fact have not started our smallholding yet. We have been trying to research as much as possible before starting out on our dream.

We have been given 7 acres of land and we are looking to move onto this land and start up a smalholding. Our main problem at the moment is finding out about any planning regulations that would stop us having a caravan placed on the land for us to live in.

Could anyone please point us in the right direction?

Thanks in advance  :)

Desi and Neil.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Hello and advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 07:54:17 pm »
Hello and welcome, I am in Fife. :wave:

desigreeneyes

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 07:59:13 pm »
Hello James. We are in Derbyshire  :wave:

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:03:14 pm »
Are you thinking about keeping any animals? I have ducks, geese, ponies, hens, goats, dogs - all as pets though.

desigreeneyes

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 08:09:21 pm »
We are hoping for chickens, goats and piggies  :D

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 08:38:00 pm »
Hello Desi and Neil. I'm in N W Leicestershire so not too far. Without wishing to sound negative getting planning to live and or build on agricultural land is very difficult. The best thing to do if you want to be above board is to speak to the planning office first.. Now then that'll get you on their radar and they'll be a total pain in the ass.. Sorry but my experience.. Or you could put some agricultural animals like pigs, sheep etc on there put your caravan in the most hidden spot possible and chance your luck.. Worse comes to worse you retrospectively apply for things. I'm sure others will chip in but my experience has been shall we say mixed with planners! Good luck both

old ploughman

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2010, 08:44:16 pm »
I would apply for permission to erect an agricultural building/ pole barn for storage - then quietly put my caravan inside and say nowt
regards

Teresa

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2010, 08:55:12 pm »
Ive heard that having rare breed animals can help gain planning permission for a temporary dwelling. Also alpacas http://www.wellground.com/Alpacas/article.htm

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 09:00:29 pm »
Hello and welcome from Derbyshire - the very middle!
have you been in touch with the council?  make it A "we are wondering if..." enquiry, be vague til they give you a straight answer!!
good luck
Little Blue

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 10:24:52 pm »
A new(non agricultural) business that has a USP (Unique Selling Point)is likely to get permission.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 10:30:01 pm »
Welcome!

Getting planning for a permanent residence on agricultural land is nigh on impossible here (Surrey).  I should know, my erstwhile neighbour went about it the WRONG way so I can tell you how not to do it!  Talk to the planning authority and check to see if there are any precedents set.  If you are thinking of living there full time it will require permission for change of use.  Don't P*** off the neighbours!  A friendly word will go far.  (I shouldn't complain - the reason I am here is because I bought the land off the previous owners as they couldn't get planning!)  

Good luck and look forward to hearing your progress report.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 11:58:18 pm »
I am in Derbyshire too .....green belt land, so no way we can have any caravan to live in (except while renovating our farmhouse).  Don't know where you are, but I think I am right in saying that you need a large acreage, to prove you need to live on the land to look after your animals.  If it was that easy, everyone would be doing it, so I suppose thats why its made difficult.

I would speak to the planners, best to have them on side, as once you cross them, life is difficult.  A lady not far from us, had a large acreage, and tried to live in a mobile home - seems she had sold her house and barn to other people.  It ended that she got an eviction order served, and  she could not live in her mobile home within so many miles radius.

desigreeneyes

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2010, 09:09:01 pm »
Thank you all for your speedy replies.  :love:

I have been on to the planning dept. They were supposed to ring me back either yesterday or today. Seems we are not off to a good start! I will try them again tomorrow but I dont want to pester them.

In the mean time we are looking to purchase 2 goats. I am going to the cattle market on thursday to get some idea of prices of various animals and see if I can make some friends while I am there (wish me luck)!

I will keep you guys updated on our progress.

Desi xxx

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2010, 09:12:30 pm »
Good luck Desi it'd be nice to hear of someone with a planning success story so fingers crossed!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 07:43:57 am »
 :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS