Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new member hi all  (Read 2176 times)

colin carpet

• Joined Jun 2010
new member hi all
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:11:04 pm »
ok i`ve cured the belly and now am ready to smoke,after the pelicle has formed.do i have to dampen the wood chips, i done a trial run in my smoker but i got flames from the chips.thanks

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: new member hi all
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 07:58:26 am »
We did it dry.  Cant say I was impressed with the results, that may have been a matter of taste or the way we did it.   :-\

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 07:58:58 am »
Sorry forgot,  Welcome to TAS.  Were they your own pigs ?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 02:47:15 pm »
Hi and welcome to TAS

colin carpet

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 04:03:03 pm »
yes i bought them from market,for £16 each.they were 10-12kgs.cheap price cos they were over £50 last week.for the same size.i have today put the chips in with a little dampened water on them i have now timed the burn and i think i have about 4 hours smoking from one doughnut half ring sieve.devided by a little piece of foil so that the chips burn only one way round the ring,bellies now hanging in the garage waiting for the pelicle to form.tried some last night,fried and grilled streaky bacon.grilled was great as it seemed to release a lot of the salt from the fat on the bacon.yum yum,cant wait to smoke tomorrow,oak dampened chips for 4 hours in my metal office double door cabinet,i`ll do some pics to show how easy it is and cheap to do,i might do a ham next and some smoked haddock and salmon.good this smallholders web,colin

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 04:41:58 pm »

Hi Colin and welcome, what kind of pigs were they? I have 3 Oxford sandy and blacks.
Anne

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 04:59:25 pm »
Try soaking the bellies for up to 3 hours, changing the water two or three times before smoking.  Dry well to smoke.  Its nice to hear of someone who has a success with this, its not one of my skills regretfully ...

colin carpet

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 10:35:12 pm »

Hi Colin and welcome, what kind of pigs were they? I have 3 Oxford sandy and blacks.
hi anne i was told they are welsh whites,they killed out at 67kg,small for bacon i know but this is my first time and enjoying it. :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS