Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: creep pellets, mineral blocks and treats?!  (Read 3524 times)

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
creep pellets, mineral blocks and treats?!
« on: June 13, 2010, 08:58:40 pm »
I am just wondering when a mineral block should be introduced to our lambs?! They are about 8 weeks old now.  And out of interest, how long should they be on creep pellets?  And yet another question....what sort of things can my kids feed the lambs as a treat? (You know...the pigs love a carrot or an apple...the hens love cheese or some sweetcorn...what about the lambs?!!)
Thank you  ;D

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
Re: creep pellets, mineral blocks and treats?!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 11:07:44 pm »
Hi, we give our lambs a mineral lick at about 8 weeks, dont know what sort of treats you can give them, never thought about doing it for the lambs.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 08:50:13 am »
Ours access their mums' block when it suits them; some like a digestive biscuit or an oatcake as a treat.

gingercloverbramble

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 01:50:11 pm »
Thanks.  Our lambs are about 8 weeks now so will get them a mineral block soon.
Think my sons will be out there tonight with the oatcakes to see if they like them!  ;)

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 09:46:18 pm »
My pet sheep loves mini cheddars!  Not sure how good they are for her but a friendly neighbour found out she loves them and chases me round the field if I have a packet!  They all seem to love polos but again probably not good for the teeth and some like apples, digestives or homemade bread.

Lambs this year don't seem to want anything including creep.  Had Suffolks last year and they would try anything.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS