Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bad eyes  (Read 3653 times)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
Bad eyes
« on: June 13, 2010, 02:13:03 pm »
My 2 year old Dorset ram has developed runny, half closed eyes and looks quite lethargic - poor appetite (doesn't want any sheep nuts!!!) and is generally under the weather. Have not noticed any respiratory problems and only a very slightly wet nose, not running as such, eyes have no yellow discharge, just a bit swollen and watery.  Anyone know what's wrong with him?  So far I've bathed his eyes with salt water and he has had a shot of penicillin.  He was sheared yesterday so I'm wondering if he's picked up an infection from the shearers rig/board. 

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Re: Bad eyes
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 04:18:25 pm »
My first thought if it was one of my sheep would be Pasteurella brought on by the stress.
Antibiotics and Antiinflamatory injections from the vet did the trick in all 3 cases.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 09:08:31 am »
Nearly 3 days on and my ram is no better - don't think is Pasteurella though Moleskins, 'cos there's no other signs, just the swollen and runny eyes, no runny nose or breathing problems and no temperature.  He is standing up and nibbling at the odd bit of hay or grass and one or two sheep nuts, but not interested in eating at all.  Last 24 hours he has had very, very watery diarrhea but this may be due to the lucozade and water we have been giving him to give him a bit of a boost.  He has been wormed incidently.   A local farmer thinks it may been poisoning, but heaven knows where from.  The others in the field with him are fine and I can see no sign of anything known to be poisonous to sheep, although thats  not to say he didn't pinch something growing through the hedge or undergrowth! He really does look sorry for himself.

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:35:31 am »
Try some ivy leaves - they are normally good for getting the digestion working again and maybe a bit of bio yoghurt.  Also if his eyes are gammy, have you tried opticlox or something like that which you put in the eyes - I know when I get conjunctivitis it hurts like hell and I don't want to do anything.

Sadly it is quite common for sheep to fall ill after shearing -  I have seen them have heart attacks when being sheared. 

How old is he?  And what kind of condition was he in before this?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 03:52:51 pm »
He's two, and was fine before he went to be sheared.  His eyes have stopped running now and they are quite clean as I've bathed them, but his eyelids are quite swollen so his eyes look half closed!  He still has watery poo but at least he's drinking plenty - still no interest in food though.  Its a bit of a mystery this one.

Hardfeather

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 10:10:20 am »
Could he have had access to Rhodedendron? You could try drenching him with strong black coffee.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 11:06:25 am »
Hi Morri, have you checked the grazing for Ragwort?

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 11:57:09 am »
No rhodedendrons around here thankfully, no ragwort either.  Haven't heard of black coffee treatment before -   I suppose its the caffeine that does the trick... although I might get to it first!!!

He's a touch better today - eating sheepnuts and nibbling the grass. The diarrhea has eased off after yesterday, just hope he's on the mend (never can tell with sheep).  In the circumstances it could well have been poisoning, from where though, I really don't know!   Thanks for the replies everyone.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS