Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Llama  (Read 17840 times)

robert693

• Joined Dec 2007
Llama
« on: July 29, 2008, 02:33:52 pm »
Hello,

I have a llama that was rescued from an owner that neglected it. It is now very wary of any human that comes near it. I was able to come close to it for the first few days that we had it but now it is just as wary of me as it is toward others. We keep it well fed and it has access to pasture and comes into the barn when it wants and overall seems happy with it's new surroundings. I was wondering if anybody has any advice on how I could gain the llama's trust?

Robert

stephen

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Kent
Re: Llama
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 03:47:01 pm »
i would say:

1 - keep feeding it so it learns that you mean food, by that i mean only you feed it no1 else!

2 - spend some time each day near to it so it comes to learn you do not mean harm

3 - maybe get another tamer one and it will learn (from the new one) that not all humans are evil!

4 - stick with whatever you decide! it could take months for the smallest breakthrough! and i would say stick to a routine!

we have a rescue cat that was given up by its family, last night was the first time (in nearly 8 months of having him) that he let us touch him without hissing and going to scratch us! he has bonded with our siamese stud boy a siamese kitten and our oriental girl. he has changed over night (literally!) from a hissing spitting ball of hate into a loving friend to the other cats and is accepting that we dont mean him any harm etc i imagine a llama could do you some quite serious damage espically if it dosent trust you so be careful when trying to tame it up. my partner and i have both been gotten (by our now docile rescue) on several occasions and blood was drawn! im sure others on here will have some more advice for you!  :cat: ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 07:37:27 pm »
I agree with Stephen (although I know sod all about llamas) - food and water will be the way to its heart. Try spending some quiet time with it - take a book and sit in the field; ignore it and don't touch it until it touches you ie put no pressure on it. Hopefully, with patience, it will decide you are OK and it will want to be with you.

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 07:27:07 pm »
What age and sex is it?.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS