Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Its Baaa-th time!!!  (Read 19214 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Its Baaa-th time!!!
« on: June 11, 2010, 04:48:05 pm »
well, following on from being too scared to make soap due to the 'potential volcanic reaction' (!)  I am pleased to say that I am now one step away from having my own goats milk soap business!!
I have found a lovely man who is sorting out my chemical assessment and a shop up the road (farm shop) has offered to sell it as the owner liked my sample soap. have also had enquires from friends who want to buy  :)

very excited (can you tell??!!) so far we have The Purple Baaa (lavender with a funky hint of orange) and The Milky Baaa (pure and simple) took delivery of some chocolate oil today so will have a nice brown 'chocoate baaa' next week.
I know, goats say maaa not baaa but am stuck for another name LOL

LIsa
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Its Baaa-th time!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 08:38:31 pm »
baaa - mee!
sounds good lisa.
are you going to do mail orders, so we can have a try?!!
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 10:49:38 am »
I will do indeedy!! must get a website sorted (or rely on ebay!)
Lisa x
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 04:10:47 pm »
Good for you plums!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 03:41:38 pm »
Good luck with your soap making venture!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 03:48:55 pm »
Roxy you are about,ev yer read yer birthday messages.That rotten wizard is at it agen ??? :D :D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 04:42:35 pm »
Certification came through today (on a sunday!!) so all systems ready to go really  ;D

there is a facebook group for anyone interested in (being bored to death by) pictures of my soaps, its called 'Its Baaa-th time'   ;D

currently some pure white, pure milk baaa's curing, will be ready in a couple of weeks, some lavender/orange (purple baaa's - great for gardeners!) ready and a few pure baaa's with a hint of tea tree ready.

Lisa

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 07:09:34 pm »
there is a facebook group for anyone interested in (being bored to death by) pictures of my soaps, its called 'Its Baaa-th time' 

"like!"
Little Blue

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 08:50:29 pm »
So what does 'certification' involve Lisa? Is it a paper pushing exercise, or does someone actually visit you?

For your online store, have a look at my hubby's shops - www.hobbygamer.co.uk or www.cookiesdelivered.co.uk and see what you think.

Hubby is happy to help you set up and register a domain if you like? Nominal fee for TAS members!  ;)

Must meet up soon and swap some milk for honey!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 11:07:55 pm »
Thanks Little Blue  ;)

The certification means submitting the recipe you use to a qualifed, accredited chemist who then shuffles loads of paper, ticks boxes and types a report stating that you are safe to sell that particular method/recipe to the public. I am allowed to sell my milkey baaaa and the lavender baaa and have paid to be allowed to - if I want to sell another fragrance I have to submit again and pay again (but less than first time) oooh worra palava!!!
thanks for those links - will have a peep tomorrow (just got back from a psychic event in stratford - ooooooooh!!! and very tired so best go to bed!!) and yes, must meet and swap milk for honey!!! I can use the honey in my honey and g-oats baaaaaa!!!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 09:11:10 pm »
Love the look of the soaps
....am thinking Christmas pressies - how long do you think they'd keep for?
how much "notice" would you need, assuming you still get enough milk in the winter (!)

better stop with the questions.... and we've barely had a summer yet!!
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 09:25:56 pm »
Aw thank you  :)

I believe they will be good for 6 months or so (more due to shrinkage as the moisture of the soap evaporates over a long time) but as this is my first year I dont' know for 100% however, I will be making batches all the time so will have some xmas ones ready.
I need about a month's notice ideally as they need to 'cure' so they are as mild as possible  :)  that said, I will  make in bulk as have been asked to sell at school xmas fair so hopefully will have plenty.
Milk wise - i am freezing loads!! I have to use slushy icy milk so the lye doestn' burn it and turn the soap brown so frozen is the way to go. we still have soooo much milk everyday, the chickens and cats love it luckily!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 09:37:11 pm »
brilliant,  will give you orders october-ish then!
Don't give all that lovely milk away to the animals... we were over run, then have had to go AGES without any goats milk... come on Geraldine- drop that kid!!
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 10:14:03 pm »
I think we need to buy a bigger freezer to keep it all!! its been good for hand rearing baby bunnies and the kittens have loved it but will definately take on board your advice  :)
loved your pic of Geraldine - she looks like my Reggie!! 

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 07:17:33 am »
Why not Vacuum Pack it.It cost nothing to run a sealed packet on the shelf where as a deep freeze? :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS