Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hen off colour - advice please  (Read 1383 times)

joyofchicks

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Hen off colour - advice please
« on: June 06, 2010, 07:57:57 pm »
Asking advice on behalf of my neighbour who has a about a dozen hens, mainly marans, all aged around a year.  One was looking a bit poorly yesterday with a bubbly eye and it was gasping a bit too.  It was quite warm here (near Aberdeen)  so I made sure it was drinking, had access to shade and suggested that it was isolated from the others till it perked up.  I also suggested putting a little cider vinegar in its water.  Does anyone know what might be wrong or be able to suggest any other measures?

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Hen off colour - advice please
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 08:35:37 pm »
Are they wormed, gaping or 'gasping' can be a sign of gape worm. I f they are not wormed you must do this with a proper wormer to start with such as Flubenvet. Then choose a wormer to deter future worms as you choose ie herbal or veterinary.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 08:16:45 am »
if its got a manky eye and a chest infection then you need to get it some antibiotics and possibly an eye cream. plus what hermit said.

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:16:19 pm »
Good call on the cider vinegar, it helps move mucus in the case of chest infections.

If the bird sounds chesty, snotty, coughing, sneezing etc, then a trip to the vet for some antibiotics is in order.

Baytril or Tylan are the ones you want.

Your neighbour wants to treat the rest of his flock as well, as once one bird is diagnosed, guaranteed another will start the same symptoms.
They can do this by asking for soluble meds & adding it into their drinking water

joyofchicks

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:23:01 pm »
Thanks all for advice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS