Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: broody hen not eating  (Read 5131 times)

terryh

• Joined Apr 2010
  • rugeley uk
broody hen not eating
« on: May 23, 2010, 09:36:11 pm »
hi guys
our broody  hen is on 11 eggs one got broke my problem is the hen dose not seam to be eating and im getting worried the  pot is still full after 2 days
what can i do ?????? help please

terry

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: broody hen not eating
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 10:29:01 pm »
Don't worry Terry in nearly 50 years of breeding chickens I have never had a broody starve herself yet.
They are in a low gear at the moment and not useing any fuel like when they are active..She'll be out to eat when she is ready,just leave her to get on with it. ;)
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

terryh

• Joined Apr 2010
  • rugeley uk
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 10:39:50 pm »
thanks a lot i was worried I've never done this before and have only had hens about 6 weeks

terry

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 05:23:58 pm »
I have had lots of broody hens, and some do sit tight on the nest, especially if they think you are around, but I have watched from a distance, and most do actually come off to eat and drink, maybe not every day though.  One in particular, I have been holding water up to her in this very hot weather, as I thought she could do with a drink.  Usually though I leave them to help themselves, if in a hutch. 

Once the eggs are nearly due, mine stay put, and definitely are not bothered about food.

bamford6

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 06:44:19 pm »
you could boil an egg up and a digestive biskit and put that nere her shel eat that and is very good for them

terryh

• Joined Apr 2010
  • rugeley uk
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:51:27 pm »
hi roxy
i tried holding some water up to her today she loved it glad i did it now  ;) thanks

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 09:16:28 am »
Just leave the food and water near to her, she will soon get up when shes hungry and probably do a huge poo while shes up!! ;D

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 05:15:02 pm »
Good that she has had a drink, that will keep her going a bit!!!

Yes, thats another reason I like the hens to come off the nest, broody hens do the biggest poo's, and its not nice in the nest among their eggs.

terryh

• Joined Apr 2010
  • rugeley uk
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 08:53:55 pm »
Just leave the food and water near to her, she will soon get up when shes hungry and probably do a huge poo while shes up!! ;D

you right about the poo dixie  ;D

terryh

• Joined Apr 2010
  • rugeley uk
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 05:25:38 pm »
im starting to get excited now  eggs are due to hatch 17 days and counting
wrote on the eggs in pencil was new Hampshire but these eggs are a cream colour ??? and a bit smaller than the welsummer eggs im getting from the other hens so it will be interesting to see what we get   ;D

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 08:53:33 am »
I take my broodys off the nest at the same time each day, but will stop at day 17 when they should sit tight until hatching  :)

terryh

• Joined Apr 2010
  • rugeley uk
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 01:50:40 pm »
no chicke as yet will give her another day or so day 23  :pig: :-\

terryh

• Joined Apr 2010
  • rugeley uk
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 03:00:44 pm »
removed the hen just a minute ago most her eggs that i bought from penkridge had started to develop i would have had 8 out of 12 she must have got off at some point and let them go cold  never mind just wait for another hen to go broody and try again  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS