Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Heptavac injections  (Read 8725 times)

Advertisement

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: Heptavac injections
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 08:49:01 pm »
Hi moprabbit , interested to hear your post injection issues , when I first used hep p many moons ago ,on adult sheep and lambs that hadn't been on the system before and they also had adverse reactions. They too , not all of them but a significant number , had a reaction , they were just not right, sat down looking generally unhappy and  lethargic for about 24hrs and then were ok. I reported it to my vet who filled out a form in the back of his meds book which they use , like doctors , to report adverse reactions. Just out of interest I always do sub cut injections over the ribs behind the front leg . :wave:

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 11:00:46 pm »
Thanks for the advice Foobar - I'll try smaller needles and syringes.

That's interesting Melmarsh to hear about adverse reactions in your sheep. Did you continue  to inject them each year? As I mentioned in one of my posts, my vet suggested I didn't inject my one ewe that has had adverse reactions for the last 2 years in case it gets worse.  She was off colour for a day or so the first time,  then last year she was lying down  'twitching' .
4 pet sheep

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 06:53:40 pm »
At that time.no!! I changed it to lambivac as I had goats at the time who have lambivac and an injection called pasticidin . At the moment I have sheep again.and use hep p again and.no ill effects so far .

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 09:00:45 pm »
Just another question about Heptavac - my vet suggested I didn't inject my ewe that had shown an adverse reaction for the last 2 years after her jab, I just wondered if there was another vaccine that did a similar job? Or anything else I could use for this ewe to protect her against any of the diseases that Heptavac covers, as I'm a bit worried about her not being protected. Thank you.
4 pet sheep

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 11:14:15 pm »
Just another question about Heptavac - my vet suggested I didn't inject my ewe that had shown an adverse reaction for the last 2 years after her jab, I just wondered if there was another vaccine that did a similar job? Or anything else I could use for this ewe to protect her against any of the diseases that Heptavac covers, as I'm a bit worried about her not being protected. Thank you.

There are others, but I only have experience of Lambivac and Ovipast (used on the goats). A question for the vet I think... but I think the ewes will build up some level of ongoing immunity if they have been vaccinated for a few years. I wouldn't be unduly concerned about not vaccinating one of your girls, especially if they are non-breeding and have a generally stress-free life. However I would think about cover against Pasteurella (Pneumonia). But if you buy one whole bottle of it for one sheep it does really get expensive...

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 11:07:44 am »
Thanks for that Anke I'll get in contact with the vet and ask about other products and about cover for pasteurella.
4 pet sheep

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 11:28:12 pm »
Just a quick update on this post  if anyone is interested. Spoke to my vet who told me I could use Ovivac as a alternative to Heptavac, or  use Ovipast in order to protect against Pasteurella,  as suggested by Anke. So I think I'm going to use Ovipast.
4 pet sheep

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2016, 09:17:55 am »
Just a quick update on this post  if anyone is interested. Spoke to my vet who told me I could use Ovivac as a alternative to Heptavac, or  use Ovipast in order to protect against Pasteurella,  as suggested by Anke. So I think I'm going to use Ovipast.

I am assuming it's cheaper? I think I will look into it too
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2016, 10:28:03 am »
It's common for farmers in this area to use Ovivac P Plus all through a ewe's life. 

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2016, 11:51:24 am »
I suppose I should have asked the vet but do you know the difference between Heptavac and Ovivac ,Marches Farmer? What do you think about just vaccinating against pasteurella with Ovipast?
4 pet sheep

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2016, 12:16:54 pm »
Ovivac and lambivac also cover clostridial disease, but fewer types than heptavac(which also covers pasteurella). Ovipast only covers Pasteurella.
As a vet, I'd recommend covering all of these that you can, as most clostridial disease can cause sudden death or serious life threatening disease that is almost impossible to treat.
I recently started covering my sheep and goats with heptavac p, as I had lost an old tup and an old ewe, which could have been pasteurella, or a clostridial septicaemia, and I wanted to give them as much protection as I can.
It is always an individual decision, particularly following adverse reactions, but as clostridia are in the ground everywhere, every farm has some risk.

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2016, 01:10:47 pm »
Thanks for your reply Fsmnutter. I'm worried about not giving my ewe Heptavac again, but was advised not to because of the adverse reactions for 2 years. I'm now wondering if I should try Ovivac to cover some of the clostridial diseases and pasteurella  but hopefully not cause any adverse reaction if it's slightly different to Heptavac?
4 pet sheep

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS