Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much should I pay to loan a tup?  (Read 4523 times)

Lizzy2

• Joined May 2014
How much should I pay to loan a tup?
« on: December 08, 2016, 06:22:43 pm »
Can someone give me an idea please about how much I should pay for the use of a tup?  I have six ewes ready and I was thinking five weeks for the tup to be with the ewes. 

Thank you
Lizzy

sheeponthebrain

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Turriff
Re: How much should I pay to loan a tup?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 06:47:04 pm »
If its from a neighbour then, a bottle of alcohol usually covers it. but if it's someone you don't know I'd have a guess at about £40.  but,  It really depends on whether  the tup was kept specifically to hire out or if the owner is also using him when he's returned

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 06:48:49 pm »
I'd work backwards - how much would it cost you to buy that quality of tup (divide by four say, to get a yearly cost), and then to keep him fed and watered for a year?

Then what percentage of his total year's workload are you giving him? Let's say it's a third.  So then divide the number you first thought of by three, and that's a fair price. Anything else is down to how well you negotiate!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 10:29:30 pm »
If owner has finished with him he'll probably be glad of one less to feed. (If you know each other well enough)
I borrowed one for 6 weeks and she insisted she didn't want anything, he did eat a lot !
I Suppose it depends on quality of tup, think about price per ewe ?
£30-40 Sounds good :-).

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 12:24:58 pm »
I would say it all depends on breed, how good the tup is etc, etc. The better the ram the more the services will cost. If the owner is a friend then price is negotiable. I would say £40 is both ample and reasonable seeing you will have to feed/shelter/water him yourself.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 01:03:51 pm »
Also discuss if he is insured and what happens if he dies whilst at yours

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 01:10:56 pm »
Also discuss if he is insured and what happens if he dies whilst at yours
Good point, I was told not to worry if 'our boy' died, i can imagine how my face dropped :-), she then explained he was fully insured. I had immediately thought he was about to drop down dead. He was a big hungry zwarble. Nearly ate us out of house and home :-).

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 01:14:06 pm »
I have charged £5 per live lamb born.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 02:57:57 pm »
The ram we borrowed normal terms is £5 per lamb born, dead or alive. Be sure that he is wormed and free of external parasites before coming onto your holding- ours had cydectin before he came and combinex when he left.

TheSmilingSheep

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 04:23:40 pm »
Really interesting.  We used our own ram lamb this year but in the past I've been paying £10 per ewe covered - for a registered ram.  May need to start negotiating!

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 05:06:27 pm »
Paying for a tup with hay. Will also buy him a pint (farmer, not the tup) :roflanim:

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 08:57:17 am »
We were going to buy a ram lamb but the owner said he is a smaller than he would like so loaned us daddy for free as long as we feed him until March-ish.

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 11:47:36 am »
I pay £5 per ewe.

David

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 04:47:45 pm »
I think I paid about £40 last night year pedigree ram, unproven. Arrangement was I paid any vets bills while he was with me. Good arrangement and I was very happy with it.  This year I have a few more ewes and have bought my own.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 09:18:53 am »
I was in a tight spot a couple of years ago having bought a ram who only liked his own kind.  Luckily a neighbour had finished with his ram for the year and lent him to me for £2 per ewe = £50 altogether.
Never ever give up.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS