Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Riding  (Read 2273 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Riding
« on: November 09, 2016, 06:55:51 pm »
I decided to go back to having riding lessons. This morning was my 2nd and I have to say I am finding it quite hard. Apart from my body complaining with lots of sore bits I find myself quite nervous. As you know Dolly is only 13.2hh and to be back on a big cob who is very forward going in canter has me wondering if I am right in the head. I feel all over the place, canter work, the cob mare falls in on both reins which makes me feel I am about to fall off. She is stiff and getting her to go straight just does not happen. Lady who is teaching says i am doing fine but I know in myself I am way off the rider i used to be. I also get very tired, came home and fell asleep. I am pretty sure the mare has joint problems, she is not young but strong. What should I be doing to help me get my balance back. ?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Riding
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2016, 07:22:00 pm »
Tell the lady that you don't want to do canter work yet. Explain everything you have mentioned above. If you aren't comfortable you are not doing fine. Ask for another horse. Lots of transitions. Check your stirrup length. Maybe try a session with someone who practices the Alexandra technique. Very often riding emphasis things our bodies are doing already when we aren't riding.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Riding
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2016, 07:44:43 pm »
Pauline Kidd near Keith does awesome work with both riders and horses for this sort of issue. She teaches Pilates and is brilliant at small tweaks that make all the difference
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS