Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mobile stabling  (Read 3820 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Mobile stabling
« on: October 28, 2016, 09:34:40 pm »
We're just about to start shopping for some mobile/moveable stabling.

We want something like 2 stables, a store/tack room, a grooming/tacking up space.  As well as occasional use by the ponies, the facilities will also be used for calving the next Jersey, housing the calves overnight when we want to milk the Jerseys the next morning, tying the Jerseys up for milking / suckling, and so on.

We're in North Cornwall, fairly high up.  It does get windy. 

One site is fairly sheltered, the other a little more exposed.

Anyone used any of these types of stabling and have any tips / guidance / warnings?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
Re: Mobile stabling
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 01:15:56 am »
The locally available option is Blackdown Buildings, which sell through Mole Valley.  I've been to see some of their buildings today, and the wood and so on all seems decently robust.  I'm not sure about the rather thin-looking metal brackets that hold the roof members on, though - and the MV blurb does say to tie or bolt the buildings down in exposed sites.

The other one I've turned up, which look sturdy to me, is the Woodhouse Stables ones.  They have a sale on at the moment. 

Anyone tried either of those?  Or any others and have any comments?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Border Lady

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 07:37:24 am »
Hi There,

We've just had a 12 X 12 stable erected for our 2 donkeys by Devonshire Stables. They cover the whole south west. I'm very pleased with the quality, we have the Dartmoor range, and the price was good too!
Hope this may be of some help.  :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 09:08:20 am »
Definitely another one to add to the list of contenders, thanks Border Lady :thumbsup:

I am getting boggled by all the things each vendor says in their blurb - this one says steel rooves are best; another that Oduline is best; some line with OSB and some say plywood is better; one mentions sealing the gap to stop the horse eating the kick-boarding, Oh no, do I now have to find out whether the other vendors and options all leave this open???, some use T-hinges and say so like it's the best type, another says 'no flimsy T-hinges on our products'... Need an emotiwotsit where your head is spinning around and around with your eyes crossing and your brains spilling out!

deepblue

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 06:22:30 pm »
You can buy Blackdown Buildings direct too, not just via Mole Valley. A much better range to choose from that way and you can have them made to your own spec to suit exactly what you need.
Our Blackdown stables and barns have been up 18 months now and I am very pleased with them. Having those little extras built into them that matter to me has proved invaluable and I can't recommend them enough!

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 08:57:48 pm »
That's great to know, deepblue, thanks very much. 

What sort of weather do you get where you are?  We're a couple of miles from the North Cornwall coast, and high up, so there has been concern expressed about whether they'll withstand the winter storms.  The #1 spot we have in mind is relatively sheltered, but there's another potential site that is a bit more exposed.

deepblue

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 09:18:17 pm »
We are 700 feet up in the Blackdowns. Sheltered from the south winds by the brow of the hill but fully exposed to winds from the north and no problems last winter.
Restrictions imposed by planners means we have onduline roof rather than big 6 which I would have preferred, but fully boarded out underneath.
We also inherited some Oakley mobile stables....whilst they have done the job and are still in one piece, the Blackdown ones are head and shoulders above them in terms of construction and quality for similar cost

Daleswoman

• Joined Jan 2015
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 09:12:11 am »
Personally I wouldn't have Onduline for your roof if you can avoid it - we recently replaced it on our stables and barn - admittedly it was 20 years old but it was in a terrible state (I had a thread on here about it at the time). We've replaced it with steel, lined with an anti-drip coating and have had no issues with condensation (which we'd been warned about with steel roofing).

If you do have Onduline make sure it's lined with timber.

I am following with interest as I need a new field shelter for ponies, cattle and sheep.

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2016, 05:17:27 pm »
Daleswoman - what antidrip coating for the steel roof did you use.  I work in a school and the store shed is steel and has awful condensation problems in winter so that may help...

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 07:26:01 am »
My stables anti drip roof is a foam sandwiched between two sheets of steel. Works a treat.  It is also cool in summer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS