Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Stihl Kombi vs individual equipment  (Read 2886 times)

SteveTeamTantra

• Joined Oct 2016
  • Glastonbury
Stihl Kombi vs individual equipment
« on: October 24, 2016, 08:58:57 am »
Does anyone have any thoughts on Stihl equipment specifically the strimmer, brush cutter, tree pruner and hedge trimmers. My local supplier tells me that I'm better off buying individual tools as opposed to the Kombi multi-tool product. All thoughts greatfully received and also on their reliability and general quality

Thanks

ScribbleUk

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Stihl Kombi vs individual equipment
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 11:11:37 am »
I don't have the Stihl, but I do have a similar combi Ryobi set-up.  So far it has been cost effective for me if you can share one motor with multiple attachments.  Downside, is if the motor breaks any investment in changeable attachments is rendered useless until you replace the motor - hoping that the motor won't fail again!

Also saves storage space and less general maintenance, especially if the individual tools would only used once or twice per year and then in storage until next season. 

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 08:00:28 am »
We have a large Stihl which we bought as separate items.  The motor unit and shaft get a lot of work over the year even if the individual items do not.  We started with the base unit and two attachments and bought the other attachments as we needed them.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2016, 12:53:54 pm »
If you mean the 'tree pruner' like a small chainsaw Steve? I tried to buy a Stihl in England years ago and was told I'd have to produce a 'certificate of competency" before they would sell me one? But you can buy them here no problem at all.

We use Silky saws for tree pruning, which are a lot safer anyway, and have separate hedge trimmers and strimmers. I'd be reluctant to put 'all my eggs in one basket', even if it is a more expensive option.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS