Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Makers of flatbed trailers?  (Read 3675 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Makers of flatbed trailers?
« on: October 23, 2016, 09:30:56 am »
Hi folks,

I've decided to buy a drop-side flatbed trailer for the smallholding; something like this Ifor Williams LM105 would be ideal.

Now I know everybody says to buy Ifor because the resale values are so strong, but when you're buying second hand, that unfortunately works against you -  the prices are simply eye watering! (and I have to fork out to sit a B+E trailer test too!)

Apart from Brian James and Indespension, are there any other makes I should be considering?

Also, if you've used a trailer like this, is there anything else I ought to know before I buy?

Cheers!  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
Re: Makers of flatbed trailers?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 05:54:03 pm »
[member=2128]Womble[/member] - I'm afraid that I can't suggest any other makers of such trailers but it's maybe worth keeping your eyes peeled for any local farm sales or machinery sales at the mart. You could pick up a bargain there.

With regards to other things to look out for Id guess check the actual frame/chassis for any damage or repairs done to it and also check the axles.  The electrics are usually easy to sort out if needs be.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 06:03:51 pm »
My single axle 4 x 8 cage spider that doubles as my stock trailer is made by a company called blue line in Boston Lincs

I got it through a friend down south who was a dealer for them.

I have been very pleased with the build quality etc and compared to the IW it was a very affordable option and meant I was able to buy new...

http://www.blueline-trailers.co.uk/trailers/flatbed-trailers/10-x-6-drop-side-platform-trailer-illustrated-with-drop-sides.html

Is their equivalent for comparison.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 06:13:57 pm »
CLH trailers, St Clears , Carmarthenshire.

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2016, 07:01:26 pm »
Womble,  what I would say, is do your homework....price up having the brakes refurbished and price up a new set of tyres.....(neither is a cheap exercise) ....add this to the cost of your second hand trailer and see how far you are off a new(er) one.

Oh yes and then there's a day to spend sorting out the lights.

Sometimes it's just worth paying for something better...look after it and it's like money in the bank...as you say they hold their value well.

Do you have a secure and preferably under cover place to keep it.  They keep much better out of the weather. Thieves like them too!

People know the value of these things so there are seldom bargains to be had.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 07:08:06 pm by stufe35 »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2016, 07:46:17 pm »
Thanks for the advice everybody.

I'm getting better with mechanics these days, and have replaced the electrics on my existing trailer once already (after the geese ate them  :innocent: )

Just thinking aloud then:
  • An IWT LM105 new is coming in at around £3,000 including VAT. That's just not going to happen!!
  • Stufe35 - That's a good point re maintenance. 4x new tyres and brake assemblies add up to roughly £440, so either they all need to be good, or that price needs to be haggled off a second hand trailer.
  • For comparison, the equivalent Blue Line trailer comes in at £2300 and the Brian James at £2700, so you're definitely paying for the name. I've also Emailed CLH (thanks for the link Mab!)
  • Second hand, from looking at completed Ebay listings, the Ifor trailers go for roughly £900 if really beaten up, £1500 in fair condition, and £2000+ in good condition.
I guess what I'm looking for is a second hand Blue Line then!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 23, 2016, 07:56:05 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2016, 08:45:10 pm »
Have a look at Nugent Engineering as well - a Northern Irish company, but a few dealers in the UK now.  http://www.nugentengineering.com/

Old Empty Barn

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 01:24:22 am »
Hi Womble, Keep an eye on the Sweeney Kincaid auction website, these trailers come up all the time.

Dave

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 07:36:16 am »
Graham Edwards and they are better trailers than the Ifors to my mind.  http://www.edwardstrailers.co.uk/

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 12:20:12 pm »
As with most things, bigger is better (unless you know exactly what you are moving or are restricted by your towing vehicle).
I have a LM146 and for hauling bales of hay wouldn't want anything smaller.

If buying again I would consider aluminium check plate flooring as I can see the plywood floor being the first thing to fail.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS