Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bl**dy Fox  (Read 11489 times)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
Bl**dy Fox
« on: May 28, 2010, 09:24:03 pm »
We have a fox that is taking a hen most days.  Last Sunday I was in the field at 1345 cleaning the hens out with my OH and 2 children when Oliver shouted fox.  It had grabbed a hen and was running back up the field :o.  So I ran after it screaming like some sort of Banshee.  It dropped the hen, ran to the wall and then turned around to get the hen again so I started screaming again and it eventually ran away.  Argh!

We have one hen house that has an outdoor enclosure, but its not big enough for all the hens.  We can't afford to put 6 foot fences around a 2 acre field.  We have a fox trap in the field, but I'm not hopeful of catching it.  Our poor hens are easy pickings. :'(

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Bl**dy Fox
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 09:30:48 pm »
Miri we have human hair tied up in tights and ties to posts all around our land. We have "Fox Watch" machines too and since doing this we have had no losses. We replace the hair with fresh stuff every 3 weeks too and we have several times saw the fox around but never on our land. These precautions are very cheap and may we worth considering. Hope you have no more losses.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 09:36:23 pm »
What is Fox Watch?

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 09:39:50 pm »
Ok just googled it.  Does it go off if the other animals go near it?  Would the hens and pigs be bothered by it?  How did you decide where to place it?  Lots of questions.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 09:42:57 pm »
A machine that you can run on battery or mains, you stick them in the ground and when the fox goes past it sets off a sound that the fox hates and makes them do a runner. I think they are about £10 each off the internet, the more you buy the cheaper they are. I swear by them. just google "foxwatch".

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 09:45:22 pm »
I phoned the shop I bought it from and asked the same questions but was told it only effects fox. I have goats, rabbit, ducks, geese and hens that pass them all the time and show no effect from it. I think it covers 20/30 yards but to be honest we only bought 6 and have a lot of land, I think the hair does a good job.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 10:05:11 pm »
The children are in need of a haircut so I'll take them to the Barbers and get all their leftover hair - yuk!

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 10:09:32 pm »
We have 2 hairdressers in the next village that collect the hair for us.

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 08:28:29 am »
I'm off to the hairdressrs - and to have a look at FoxWatch - useful, thanks  :)

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 08:40:39 am »
Wow great information, I'm not going to cut my hair but its interesting to know.

We only have 10 chickens and have a natural boundary of the sea so touch wood dont have a fox(s) down here yet that have realised there is a food source.  I am def going to look at the fox master though as you can never be too safe.

I got home late last night after having a few problems and the chickens wernt looked up safe in their house and only in their netted area.  Its still a panic to get home.  I am sorry to hear your loosing yours, must be annoying if not horrible for you + kids to actually see it happening and you cant do anything to stop it.

Ta

Baz

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2010, 09:09:46 am »
One whole side of my property runs along the side of the River Eden. This is wide and tidal and on the other side from our property there is a bird watch, as this estuary is protected, the bird watchers in here often tell stories of seeing the fox swim from one side to the other!!!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 09:14:14 am by jameslindsay »

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 10:27:33 am »
I'm just wondering if this "foxwatch" thingy is any good in the ongoing battle i have with cats   :-\

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2010, 10:29:21 am »
You do get a version that is especially made for cats if my memory serves me right Dave.

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 01:45:18 pm »
OK I now have a big bin bag full of hair and have dug out all my tights.  No guesses what I'm up to this afternoon!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2010, 02:03:25 pm »
Compliments of the season Miri All due respects Wasting your time? ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS