Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bl**dy Fox  (Read 11456 times)

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
Re: Bl**dy Fox
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2010, 02:44:52 pm »
You do get a version that is especially made for cats if my memory serves me right Dave.

That's good news James, as i'm getting rather fed up running around like an idiot with the supersoaker   :D

Snapper

• Joined Mar 2010
    • walbut house farm
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2010, 03:06:44 pm »
We're having problems with a Fox as well, it took our Norfolk Grey Cockeral last night,  a Light Sussex Cockeral  and a Duck the night before and a Marsh Daisy before them. It looks as if it  also had a go at the Silver Dorking  but he managed to get away, although he looks a bit ragged. Thank goodness for the 'purple spray' it works wonders.

My sons have acquired a 'Live Trap' but no success so far.

I've googled Foxwatch and they cost around £49 on Amazon, but it sound as if it's worth trying.In the meantime I've found the hair-cutters and my 15 year old son is ready and willing to have a trim. (it's end of term anyway and my Mum always said that the difference between a bad haircut and a good one is 2 weeks!!)

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2010, 03:22:56 pm »
My god they have jumped up massive in price, they must be getting popular so they can charge what they want!

spikey_fridge

• Joined Mar 2010
  • stroud gloucestershire
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2010, 05:51:05 pm »

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2010, 06:03:17 pm »
I think its the human smell that it gives off.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2010, 06:18:21 pm »
My MIL hung tights of hair round her chicken pen, and also asked all the menfolks to pee round the pen! (You should have seen my brothers face, I think it was the first time he met her  ;D )

Anyway - the hens were fine, until some rescue hens arrived and showed them how to get out of the pen!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2010, 12:09:43 am »
human pee is also supposed to do the trick, especially male - order all the boys in the family to wee around your land where the hens are. When we have a fox near I even collect all the girls' in bottles and pour it around the fence just to make sure there's enough out there . ;D :&>

Sandy

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2010, 12:25:38 am »
 ???

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2010, 07:53:54 am »
------ and I'm waiting ? :wave: :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2010, 06:13:48 pm »
We have now put 10 bags of hair around the field and spread the rest up the wall that the fox jumps over.  The males in my family regularly wee in the field so we have that one covered.  We also let the dogs run in the field as I would imagine that may help a bit.

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2010, 06:21:12 pm »
Good luck now Miri, hope this does the trick. :)

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2010, 06:25:48 pm »
Thanks

Declan

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Rathfriland, Co.Down
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2010, 11:08:33 pm »

Got up this morning an d let out my hens around 7- came in made a brew and about around nine was standing at the kitchen sink looking out. I looked down the field and saw what i thought was one of the one of the hens outside the run- loooked again- thought he was moving a kinda funny- studied a little more- it was a young fox in the long grass eyeing up his breakfast. The dirty fri**er i thought. I ran out and made a dash down the field- (wife in fits of laughing)
Foxy looked up and casually sauntered away- looking back with that arnie zwartsenegger(!!) look - I'LL BE BACK.
The cheeky bugger- in the middle of the day- gotta get me a gun and a trap!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2010, 11:21:04 pm »
or a pack of hounds - apparently they are good at getting rid of foxes.................................. ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2010, 07:55:59 am »
According to Phil the now retired Whipper in at Brocklesby once told me the pack costs a small fortune to keep in food  alone.So I still think a rifle is the best permanent answer ??? >:( :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS