Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Permanent run ground  (Read 2819 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Permanent run ground
« on: June 07, 2010, 07:59:38 pm »
Hi

We are considering moving our chickens to a permanent run rather than their current movable run - for various reasons.

However, what do you all do about the ground if you have non moveable runs - do you clean it, rake up the poo, spread anything to kill bacteria - as I believe that their poo will eventually contaminate the ground.

Ta

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: Permanent run ground
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 08:13:17 pm »
yes, scrap up the poop regularly, makes lovely compost.
depending on where you site it, it may get VERY muddy.  we resorted to "crazy paving" of oddments of slabs, rocks, bricks to keep them off the ground, as any grass will be gone in a matter of days!

you can spread something on the ground.... I've gone completely blank!  ??maybe lime??  !!
Little Blue

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 08:43:59 pm »
lots of posts about this on the Omlet forum - folks seem to use hemcore or aubiose horsey type stufff .... :farmer:

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:04:24 pm »
Our layers have been in a prem run for a couple of months now.

To freshen things up a bit, i break the top surface up with a fork & sprinkle a little Stalosan around.

I dare say you can use Diatom.

If it's muddy, as it is tonight, i spread some woodshavings about the run, leave it for a couple of days then rake out again, followed by another light covering of shavings.

Some folk use sand, bark or wood chips.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 06:07:25 pm »
After everything went very muddy during our last prolonged wet period (also known as the "Scottish Summer"  ;)), we put down bark chippings. These need to be renewed once in a while, and we do poo pick where we can. However, this has been working pretty well for over a year now.

HTH!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 06:27:49 pm »
I have my hens on a permanent run.  It's absolutely fine.  They have woodchips which are replaced every few months, and in between changings I scatter Bio-Dry disinfectant down.  When I change the woodchips I put the used stuff on the allotment or as a mulch in the flower beds, it works a treat  ;D

The hens get plenty greenery during the day, and they get a great run to dig through - it does get a bit messy when they scatter the woodchip far and wide, but I'd definitely recommend it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 08:33:44 pm »
My permanent run gets pretty waterlogged - so when I am cleaning out their shed I spread the old straw on the ground. Been working well fro a while now - soaks up the water.  Then I scrape it all up on a dry day and put in the compost bin.  I also add diatom when putting fresh straw in the shed and also when spreading the old straw about the run.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS