Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moving a gate into a field  (Read 2818 times)

Sherbatious border

• Joined Aug 2016
Moving a gate into a field
« on: September 19, 2016, 08:51:45 pm »
 Is there any rule against moving a gate into agricultural land if you also own the access track? We own a narrow access track to our house and the track also gives access to a 1.8 acre paddock, designated as agricultural land, that  we've bought. The former owner used to drive his tractor straight across from his yard, but if we are to get another neighbour in with a tractor to flail a large hawthorn hedge, we'll need to set the gate back to allow turning space from the track. (We'll also need a gate, the former owner removed the existing gate after we'd completed the purchase!) So my husband wants to move the gate slightly so it is not directly opposite the yard and set it back from the track creating a turning space, which will be hard core - would we need permission as this will be within the boundary of the agricultural land? The former owner still lives next door while he tries to sell his house, so we will be watched!

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Moving a gate into a field
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 09:13:23 pm »
Can't quite make out the situation but you can put gates and fences wherever you want on your land

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 07:44:18 am »
Just do it and keep schtum in your local area ;)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 08:25:55 am »
I go with the do it and keep quiet option,

The only time I know there can be an issue is gates that access straight onto the public highway as the traffic (local council) department have to approve there location for safety.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 09:32:37 am »
I don't think the position of the gate would be an issue but if you are putting down an area of hardcore this might fall under control depending on the size.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Sherbatious border

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 09:37:35 am »
Thank you, doing it and keeping shtum seems to be how everyone around here makes changes, former owner/neighbour included. (He recently put a horse manege in one paddock and no permission for it). We are aprox half a mile from the nearest actual road, up farm tracks-  we now own the last 100 yards or so, past what is now our paddock, to our house. We might build up the entrance and put some earth and grass back over it, it's only to give a tractor some turning room so we can get our hedges cut and because horses going in and out have worn the existing entrance away. I did some Googling last night and discovered that as Clydesdaleclopper has just pointed out,  putting anything that can be interpreted as 'hard standing' on agricultural land can get you into trouble, so I don't want to give the nosy neighbours any opportunity to make complaints. Especially as I might be doing small scale, tent only part time camping on the site in future -  in accordance with Agricultural Land conditions of course. There is a long and complicated history of complaints being made against neighbours around here, it seems to be a local pastime.

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 09:41:43 am »
that's why, whatever you want to do, do it quickly and quietly.... and before you start running any sort of business or general-public sort of things from there....

a bit of stone in a gateway is fine.... up to you how far that needs to extend ;)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 10:06:00 am »
Gates are really only an issue when you are looking at direct access onto a road into traffic so your situation shouldn't cause a problem at all.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS