Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Desperately seeking advice on what to charge for rent.  (Read 1837 times)

Hayyouguys

• Joined Jul 2016
Desperately seeking advice on what to charge for rent.
« on: July 28, 2016, 06:41:13 pm »
Hi all!

We have a farmer interested in renting out our property for hay production (we used to breed horses but no longer do so are changing from commercial to agricultural use.)

At this point he has offered to pay 45p per bale of hay produced (we have 20 acres) and wants to rent the buildings which would suit us perfectly BUT we have absolutely no idea what to charge for this! He would be storing hay and equipment in a secure, padlocked yard within 18 large stables with water and power available. All CCTV covered. Included is also storage in two barns. One is 1160 square foot with a roof height of a good 18ft. The other is 1110 square foot with a roof height of 8ft. We are in the high end area of the greenbelt for what its worth (everything costs a fortune round here so we want to charge appropriately.)

How is this usually done? Would you charge a flat rental fee monthly and if so how much? We want it to be a very fair deal for both parties but just don't know where to start with pricing. Huge thanks! So very much appreciate any and all advice!  :thumbsup:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Desperately seeking advice on what to charge for rent.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 06:32:00 pm »
I rent out some buildings of similar size to your barns, with lights and power, and secure yard/parking outside for £350 each/month.
 As for your grassland, I'd be tempted to sell the grass for so much/ acre. If you look in the farming press you will get an idea of what people are charging.
 If he wants your grass on a regular basis I would charge something like £100/acre/year. That way he can put as much fertiliser on as he wishes and then the yield of hay, and how many cuts he gets, is up to him.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 08:40:23 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS