Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help needed for duckling  (Read 3356 times)

Avoiding-stress

• Joined Jul 2008
Help needed for duckling
« on: July 20, 2008, 03:12:41 pm »
I have a duckling which I think has been picked on by its siblings. It has developed what seems to be an abcess on the back of its neck. I have cleaned the area with water and sprayed with purple spray which I use on my chickens as this is my first time keeping duckling I am just looking for someone to confirm the action I have taken is correct and if there is anything else I can do.

The Chicken Lady

• Joined Mar 2008
  • Cheshire
Re: Help needed for duckling
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:20:55 am »
How old is your duckling? The action taken is OK. Has the skin actually broken? All you can do is keep it clean. If it looks infected it may need antibiotic treatment either powder or oral from the vet. You could try and get some sterzac powder (or cicatrin powder) from your local pharmacy. We used to use these on the umbilicus of newborn babies years ago but would be OK on the broken skin of you duckling (if they still produce this powder). Sprinkle some on a piece of cotton wool and then dust on the cleaned skin so that you get it where you want it and not too much. Have you seperated your ducks? They will still need to see each other if you want them back together when it has healed.
Good luck
 :chook:
Karen

Avoiding-stress

• Joined Jul 2008
Re: Help needed for duckling
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:53:51 am »
I am not sure on the age of the ducklings as they came with two mother ducks. They are all different sizes so it is difficult to be sure on the ages. The skin did break which is why I removed the duckling as I felt its siblings were not leaving the wound alone. I am keeping the duckling in a shed and I take it into the main pen with its siblings four or five times a day but keep it away from the others at night. I will get some of the powder you suggest and I guess time will see if it improves.

Many thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS