Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: NO EGGS  (Read 4335 times)

monty

• Joined Jul 2008
NO EGGS
« on: July 23, 2008, 04:27:44 pm »
RIGHT 5WEEKS AGO I STARTED KEEPING HENS STARTED WITH 3 LIGHT SUSSEX BANTAMS 2 POL HYBRIDS 3 WELLSUMMERS THEN 1WEEK LATER GOT 2MARANS 8 MORE HYBRIDS THEY STARTED GIVEING ME 8-9 EGGS A DAY BUT HAVE DWINDLED DOWN RAPIDLY 6-5=3-  JUST 1 YESTERDAY FED MOSTLY PELLETS CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN??? 

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
Re: NO EGGS
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 05:36:01 pm »
hi there are a number of different reason that i know off y they dont lay eggs  one is there age how old are they ?
 what kind of feed  is it a mash or a pellet this can some time cause problems
 being egg bound is another try adding cod liver oil to the feed as it can help slide the egg out lol
 how much water have the drank  have they remaind moving arund and moble
have there been any stress as hens are extreamly stressed animals when they come into egg production the slightist thing from a fox scare to loud bangs is know to put them off laying  perfect example of this is local to me there is an organic poultry farm  everything was ok getting good aount off eggs untill low flying air craft to the now used airfield started going over again it caused the bird to stop laying and has cost the farmer thousnads  hes now sueing the airfield  let me know

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 07:54:51 pm »
I'd agree about the stress factor - do they seem well in themselves?

PS take off the CAPS LOCK

monty

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 08:31:55 pm »
they seem well i let them out first thing then they free range all day  always got water, layers pellets, an corn at night the bantams are in a coop on there own 3 of them i was gettin 3 eggs a day for a week yesterday 0 today 1  been 1 a day off them for a while now  ???

Ash Field Farm

• Joined Apr 2008
  • banbury
  • my girls
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 02:12:29 pm »
just to let u know  that it takes 26 hors to produce one egg and  they would only produce one egg if they have surfficant light aprox 10 hours light to one egg  another thing would be not to give them to much corn in the evening  as goving them to much will caus them to gain weight and produce eggs less  its like feeding them chocolate bars lol  let me know how they are getting on

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 03:07:58 pm »
Thanks for the tip about corn - I didn't know that and used to feed mine corn too.  I'll remember that when I restock after my recent move.
Annie
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS