Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our Caravan for Holidays in our field  (Read 3161 times)

Durley

• Joined Aug 2016
Our Caravan for Holidays in our field
« on: August 30, 2016, 06:52:32 pm »
Hello,

Any advise would be really appreciated. I am the owner of a field and caravan now sited in the field.

The field, near Lyme Regis ( This is East Devon District Council ) was acquired by my Grandfather in 1938 and has been passed down a few generations to myself.

My wife and I intended to use the caravan in our field for a few weeks a year and the occasional weekend with our children.

Since 1938 our family has allowed a local family to use the field as they wish ( Horses almost all of that time) , that arrangement is to carry on as we are only using a tiny part of our 1 acre field for what we intended would be no more than 20  days a year. The Tenants of the land have agreed to us coming down for holidays and there are no problems with them, they are nice people, there is no inconvenience to the tenants.
(
The caravan was towed on to paving stones as the ground is soft and situated  in a corner of the 1 Acre field  (the only flat part of our  field) . It is not a field that is easily accessible, a real mission to get it the caravan there in the first place. It is not visible by any residence and with green caravan cover one would struggle to see it  However .............. Problem.......... we now have been told via a official notice pinned to the caravan cover that's we need to apply for change of use or remove the caravan  . I cant see what change of use they mean ?

As Children we used to camp there with my parents and we really wanted the chance to use the field once more, something nice for the Children ,  any help or advice would be most welcome.

thank you , have a nice evening

Kevin

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Our Caravan for Holidays in our field
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 02:10:21 pm »
Not as invisible as you thought! They will be concerned that you intend to live in it. Contact them and tell them  what you plan to do.

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 02:35:21 pm »
I agree. I imagine they think you want to start living on site and then apply for planning permission to build on it. They may be reasonable if you explain, but may also say they can't risk it being there permanently
________
Caroline

BrimwoodFarm

• Joined May 2016
    • Brimwood Farm
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 05:09:42 pm »
I came upon this problem too, and it's not YOUR usage of the caravan, it's the caravan itself. I wanted to do exactly what you want - leave a caravan on site year-round and use it up to the maximum of 28 days per year. However, because the caravan is not towed off site during this time, the council (my one at least) insist on a change of use and, therefore, planning permission. It's VERY annoying.

The 'Change of Use' is probably because the field is designated agricultural and you want to use it for non-agri purposes - yes, even just that little tiny strip that's underneath the caravan. Ugg. Don't get me started.

I'm trying to find some magical way around it - like can you use the caravan for the 28 days and then utilise it as agricultural storage for the remainder of the year? I'm yet to find a solution.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 03:15:38 pm »
One way is to take pictures of the hudreds of small caravans around in your area that have no planning on their planning portal and ask if they want to set a presidance by asking you to remove yours as they will have to remove the rest.

Its normally a bully tactic - there is nothing in law that says you cannot store a wheeled trailer in a field.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS