Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farms for rent in Scotland?  (Read 5270 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Farms for rent in Scotland?
« on: June 18, 2016, 04:19:43 pm »
me and my family have been looking into and considering the possibility of moving to Scotland, still in the ideas stage and may not come to anything. We would really prefer rental rather then buying, I have done some exstensive property searches but have failed to come up with anything. Looking in the region between 80 and 100 acres of good land, outbuildings and preferably one which can be converted into a milking parlour, or a milking parlour would be good. Can anyone recommend any site i should be looking at before we make any decision? We're already jotting up the positives and negatives of it in many ways and researching as much as possible.
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Farms for rent in Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 07:25:25 pm »
I have never seen farms or land advertised to rent.  There is land let out but I'm afraid I can't help in how to find it.

There are a couple of fields just down the road from me that I know are rented and I know the they changed from one tennant to another earlier this year.  I have absolutely no idea how they went about finding a new tennant - no-one heard anything about it until after the deal had been done!

I would guess that the best bet would be to contact the mart in the area that you are looking - auctioneers seem to know everybody and everything.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 08:09:10 pm »
A land agent working in the area you want to move to will be able to help - any of the big rural estate agents.

Remember, the chances of getting a long term tenancy up here is pretty unlikely. Most land is let on seasonal lets, short duration tenancies or long duration tenancies, all of which give quite limited tenure.

http://scotland.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/advice_topics/renting_rights/agricultural_tenancies

Tattymacintosh

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 03:09:17 pm »
We found ours with ckdgalbraith. They seem to have most of the farms on their books.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 03:11:42 pm »
What is behind the idea of going North?  Fed up with Wales?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 05:38:52 pm »
Truth is I could never get fed up with Wales its my home and I am well blessed to be given such a wonderful location . I suppose I just panicked because of the (dare I say it :innocent:) EU referendum. I have now however resigned myself to staying here, as I couldnt find anything suitable at all and there have been some other things which came up preventing moving. I will however keep a lookout in case something does come up in the future, keeping all options open :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Carse Goodlifers

• Joined Oct 2013
  • Perthshire
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 09:52:46 pm »
A land agent working in the area you want to move to will be able to help......
Down in Angus, Perthshire, Fife, southern Aberdeenshire 90% of farm sales are done through land agents with the likes of Galbraiths (as tattyMacintosh said), Bidwells, Retties, DM Hall, Bell Ingrams, Savills, Strutt & Parker to list but a few.
As well as selling entire farms, they will also sell land parcels but they may be able to shed light on any tenancy opportunities as many of them deal with large estates etc.
There is a lot of places on the market at the moment - some good farms and also a couple of very large estates being broken up too.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2016, 10:25:13 am »
Scotland is so lovely. a great smallholding/farming community. we found it really hard to find farms for sale or lease
when we were looking.
I also love wales, but good luck in searching.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS