Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 6 girls looking for love  (Read 4146 times)

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
6 girls looking for love
« on: August 18, 2016, 01:21:46 pm »
Hi all,

I cant believe how grown up they have all got, it seems like only yesterday I picked them up as wee lambs... but you cant stop time and my 6 ryeland lambs are all grown up and looking for love.  They're hoping to meet a young ram who also likes the countryside, knows how to enjoy a haybale and likes a wee bit of cake  ;D

However, being a bit more serious than they are I have a few questions.  For such a small flock I'm not sure about buying in a ram, but do people rent out rams? 
If I do need to buy in, could you run it with the flock for the entire year or would i need to get him a companion and keep them separate?

I'll be taking a look at the ryeland flock book site over the weekend for contacts but I thought I'd see what the wonderful people on TAS had to say first.  Also, if you are based in central scotland and you are in the habbit of pimping out a ram - let me know!

I'm off to buy them all red rose and a copy of war and peace, I think thats the standard for blind dates isnt it??

Thanks you all,
Cuddles

Louise P

• Joined Jul 2015
Re: 6 girls looking for love
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 03:16:18 pm »
If you're lucky, you might be able to have the use of a nice show ram for free if you feed and look after it over winter.
Just check out breeders and showers around you then get on the phone.
A phone call is never wasted :-)
Good luck x

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 03:40:07 pm »
If you're lucky, you might be able to have the use of a nice show ram for free if you feed and look after it over winter.
Just check out breeders and showers around you then get on the phone.
A phone call is never wasted :-)
Good luck x

I'm not sure any showing breeder would let their show standard ram go out for the whole winter, or even on hire to be honest. I know I wouldn't- these rams are often worth quite a bit of £££. Most show breeders are MV accredited too and use their pedigree rams on their own pedigree stock.

We are borrowing a Poll Dorset ram this year from a friend who has a few too many rams and has one suitable for first time lambing, best bet is to see if there's any local farmers that you could take your girls to, obviously this has its own risks but if you're borrowing or someone is helping you out then the ball is kind of in their court. Your other option is to buy a ram lamb, use it and then sell or kill it.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 05:18:39 pm »
There is a members page on the RFBS web site that details Rams for loan as well as all the Ryelands for sale. Otherwise try a note on their Facebook page. I am too far away to be of any help and I was able to borrow one last year for 6 weeks and bought my own (six ladies to serve) this year. I may well keep him in with the ladies post event, or else keep back one of this year's ram lambs for company as I will need to keep the ewe lambs separate otherwise.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2016, 09:42:23 pm »
If you use FB, join the FB page of the Scottish Ryeland Group (and join the group if you haven't already done so. It's only £10 and they have some good events).

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 11:12:27 pm »
It may be worth trying the farming forum. I also saw an ad on preloved not so long ago too.
http://www.preloved.co.uk/search?keyword=ryeland+tups
Hope this helps. Alternatively you could try the society
http://www.ryelandfbs.com/
They may be able to point you in the right direction for really good breeders in your area. All the best and could you keep us updated on how you get on?
All the best :thumbsup:
WBF
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2016, 08:01:36 am »
Borrow or hire one if you can. It saves a whole lot of hassle during the non breeding part of the year. If you find you could buy one for the same money as hiring, you have to consider all the other costs of caring for him for a year.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 06:27:52 pm »
Cuddles,  The question 'what do you want to do with the resulting lambs?' may give you an answer.
 If they will be for meat, then you could borrow /buy an older ram of an easy local breed.  If you intend to increase your Ryeland flock, then contact the Scottish Ryeland group for advice  re contacts.  Whatever you decide, enjoy your first lambing, it is very special.  :sheep: :love: :sheep:

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2016, 06:04:36 pm »
Thanks Bramblecot,

The plan is to gradually increase the flock as my confidence, knowledge etc grows, however most (if not all) of the boys will ultimately end up in the freezer.  I'll get in touch with the scottish ryeland group as you and Rosemary have said. 

Thanks again,
Cuddles

Cuddles

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2016, 09:01:43 pm »
If you use FB, join the FB page of the Scottish Ryeland Group (and join the group if you haven't already done so. It's only £10 and they have some good events).

Hi Rosemary, do you know anyone that is an admin for the FB group?  I've tried to join but its been over a week and I haven't had any contact from them.

Thanks

Liz Kershaw

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 09:11:08 pm »
Hi, we've been in this situation 2 years running. First year we hired one in, last year, we took our 4 girls to the ram (the point made above about owners or decent Rams not letting them go off site is very valid). However, taking them to the tup didn't work for us ... One didn't catch at all, 3 did but the stress of catching them and transporting them pregnant caused one to slip/reabsorb her lamb, a real shame. A breeder might let you have a ram lamb he wants to 'prove' although if he's not up to the job, you might have a barren year.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2016, 11:01:14 am »
Hi, we've been in this situation 2 years running. First year we hired one in, last year, we took our 4 girls to the ram (the point made above about owners or decent Rams not letting them go off site is very valid). However, taking them to the tup didn't work for us ... One didn't catch at all, 3 did but the stress of catching them and transporting them pregnant caused one to slip/reabsorb her lamb, a real shame. A breeder might let you have a ram lamb he wants to 'prove' although if he's not up to the job, you might have a barren year.
We hire out shearling rams and occasionally ram lambs (one visit per tupping season) and when they return they then go in to quarantine then straight to slaughter the next week.  I never accept females coming to the farm, for biosecurity reasons and because they need to be undisturbed for at least a month after tupping, for the pregnancy to take. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS