Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BlOAT IN EWE ? HELP / ADVICE  (Read 1535 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
BlOAT IN EWE ? HELP / ADVICE
« on: September 09, 2016, 07:29:49 pm »
Our texel shearlings have recently moved on to new pasture a couple of days ago. Last night I noticed one seemed quite large, checked this morning the same but happily walking around and eating.
I have just checked again, she was lying down until I walked right the way over to her, looked very large particularly on the left side, she got up and started grazing again but is performing movements I can only describe as similar to lambing / star gazing (turning head to side / obvious discomfort in stomach) whilst still walking around eating.

Basically what can we do right now - I am getting together a mixture of bicarb of soda, water and a little oil ????? she is very friendly and easy to catch. Should I bring her in off pasture as she wont stop grazing ???

Much appreciated

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: BlOAT IN EWE ? HELP / ADVICE
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 08:15:37 pm »
Thread at the top of this section.  May be down to long, wet grass now the dew is settling.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 08:24:10 pm »
Not much water, mainly oil and bicarb, try and massage (you want gas exiting at both ends) and yes take her off grass, immediately.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 09:11:27 pm »
Thanks for the hasty advice, we syringed the bicarb and started massaging the rumen for about 20 mins - many burps later she does look more deflated !!!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 09:52:16 pm »
She will need to have a belly full of hay before going out to graze onto wet grass... hope all will be well in the morning....

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 09:09:24 am »
Need to watch her in the future, too.

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 03:33:33 pm »
After watching her I still knew something wasn't right, still very uncomfortable / twisting around, rounded them up this morning and brought her and a buddy in - shes got flystrike on the back of her neck ! Luckily caught it early nd treated as there was only 2 or 3 maggots.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS