Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hen proof plants?  (Read 2587 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Hen proof plants?
« on: May 18, 2010, 10:47:49 am »
As the name suggests, i am looking for some plants that are hen/duck proof. The area is clay soil, on a slope and is partially shaded, i had thought of pampas grasses and mini conifers, but have never got around to testing the theory.

:chook:  :chook:   :chook:

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Hen proof plants?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 02:47:15 pm »
I have a pampas grass on  a slope in clay soil - so that will work! In fact - you can have mine - I need it moved to make room for the ducks!  :P

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 06:33:36 pm »
we had pampas grass at our old house and the chooks loved it for sunbathing, now they have a willow tree that they use for shade.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:43:52 pm »
I have heavy clay soil too. My chickens free range a  lot in the garden. They have not touched the clumps of geraniums - "proper" geraniums which are perennial, not pelargoniums which we usually refer to as geraniums (you know - the ones that stink IMHO!) ;D
Weigela viburnum euonymous  lavatera and rhododendrons have also been ignored. Mimulas and verbascum have been demolished.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS