Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chicken pecking  (Read 2306 times)

pinkylol

• Joined Apr 2009
chicken pecking
« on: May 17, 2010, 11:25:49 pm »
 I bought a flock of 30 chickens about 3 months ago from a local farm and they all settled in nicley and are laying some very tasty eggs.So i decided to buy another 50 and put them in a stable to settle.I have intoduced them to my other 30 in the field and have noticed they are starting to peck each other.The ones being pecked have escaped outside of the enclosure and have very bloody bottoms and i found 2 dead this morning.

Can i spray them with somthing to help them ?they seem very happy running around but their bottoms look very bloody.

They have plenty of layers pellets,wheat and veg and all the grass they can eat.help!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: chicken pecking
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 11:49:48 pm »
That's a lot of birds in both flocks to try to unite into one. Maybe if you can you should try to separate some of them?  How are they getting bloody bottoms - are the others pecking them there?  That sounds quite vicious.  Don't know what else to suggest, sorry.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:47:04 am »
could some be ill. they pick on weaker/sick ones. tey may fight but it unusual to kill each other.

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 09:25:41 pm »
Hi,

There is anti-feather pecking spray that can be used, or an old "cure" is stockholm Tar.

Thanks

Gareth
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 09:35:32 pm »
The anti-feather pecking spray is purple. Apparently if a bird sees blood on another one it will keep attacking it so the spray is to disguise the blood. Afraid it will be expensive to treat lots of them! You can find it on the internet I'm sure.

I'd agree with Anne and maybe remove the worst offenders so the others can get palsy with each other before re-introducing them!

Listen to me talking like an expert.  ::) I am a newbie actually but that is what I have read elsewhere... good luck! :wave:

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 10:38:32 pm »
Hi,

Not just the colour, it has a smell and taste that the hens dont like - so they stop pecking.

Stockholm Tar is horrid and sticky, so the hens dont go near it to peck.

Neither are that expensive though.

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS