Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Agricultural Colleges  (Read 8605 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: Agricultural Colleges
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 07:35:28 am »
Good Luck Cameron whatever you decide.You can never have to much knowledge :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 04:11:27 pm »
Most Universities have schools of agriculture - at least they did. I did my degree at Edinburgh Uni. They did HND as well

Jackie 2

• Joined May 2010
  • North Killingholme
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 07:22:10 pm »
Brooksbymelton Agricultural College is good too.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 08:17:47 pm »
Hi Cameron ....
have you chosen a college yet?!

I've just been looking at the miscellaneous section of the farmers Guardian website - there's quite a few colleges listed on there ....  and I thought of you!
:)
Little Blue

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2011, 06:50:49 pm »
 Hi Cameron,
North Highland College do courses in Deer Management, Gamekeeping with or without Wildlife Management, lots of Equine courses, and Vet Nursing (there are lots more men doing vet nursing these days) ?? any help?

oldwolf

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Livingston
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2011, 07:15:49 pm »
My youngest is off to Oatridge later this year to a Farriers course! :o :o :o
'And the crowd called out for more'

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 07:39:56 pm »
It might be worth considering staying in Scotland not just for cost of living/convenience but also the land management/agric approaches will be different here to down in the Home Counties and you will also benefit from the Scottish student funding system..

Generally speaking FE students also get more funding support than HE students and there may be more flexibility in module options at that level too if you're not entirely sure of your direction - so may be worth starting at Elmwood, Oatridge, Barony, North Highland, SAC (Edinburgh/Aberdeen/Ayr campuses) and choose one with options to complete degree level or further training in careers you're interested in..

I was looking at Rural Enterprise at SAC Edinburgh last year but couldn't manage the commute to Edinburgh for 9am lecture starts 3-4 days a week so also watch scheduling of blocks if you want/need to work to support your studies as most folk do ;)

I worked in HE until a few months ago so have a reasonable knowledge of the sector in terms of student funding and support if I can be any help :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 08:06:55 pm »
Have decided to do a HNC in Rural Land Management at elmwood for what would in-effect be by 6th year, providing i get all the grades and get an offer,

then once I'm 18 and completed the HNC, going to the SAC to take studies in the same field further, again providing i get an offer.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 08:45:11 pm »
good choice, Cameron! Don't expect us to believe that you are under 18 !! you are one of the elders on here  ;D ;D :&>

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 06:42:18 pm »
 ;D

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 08:16:55 pm »
CameronS looks the spit of Simon Cowell in his Avatar......

;)

VSS

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Pen Llyn
    • Viable Self Sufficiency.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2011, 05:43:07 pm »
Harper Adams (Shropshire) has an extremely good reputation and a very wide range of courses.

Remember that loads of Universities also have agricultural/ land based departements.
My old college (the Welsh Agricultural College - the BEST of course) has merged with the University of Wales Aberystwyth.

Loads of choice.
The SHEEP Book for Smallholders
Available from the Good Life Press

www.viableselfsufficiency.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS