Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: So much rain  (Read 3083 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
So much rain
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:57:29 pm »
It rained for 24 hours non stop, and it was heavy rain.  Living in hilly Derbyshire, we are relatively lucky in that the water usually flows past us ....but with the amount of rain thats fell - 5 inches, the drains could not take it, and so many roads were flooded.  We had streams coming off our hill field this morning, going out the gate and along the lane.

At the bottom of our fields is a big river.  It does get very high, and this morning it had burst its banks, covering the public footpath, and probably taking a big chunk of field with it.  I was concerned about the height of the water last night, as 5 of my goats are in a big wooden stable alongside the river (well actually, they were well back from the river, until the river started taking more of the land over the years)  By this morning it wasvery worrying, as the water was creeping higher, and nearer the stable.  Its not rained a lot today, but the level has not dropped.  Weather forecast is for more rain over the next few days.

Will keep a keen eye on the river, and will have to find somewhere for the goats if it gets bad.  Not sure where they can go, but will find somewhere.

Just heard there has been a landslide on the other side of the railway from us. I was wondering why the trains were running on the wrong side of the tracks all day!!  And we have had lots of traffic on the lane today, obviously because the road below the railway is closed.  There was a landslide  a little further along a couple of years back, and that took ages to sort, and must have cost a fortune.  I am not surprised at the slip with all this rain.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 10:27:39 pm by Roxy »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: So much rain
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:41:40 pm »
It was bad here on Friday and I got stuck in 2 feet of water.  Just hoping my car isn't a write off when they come for it tomorrow. Never seen so much rain and it was scary sitting in a car in the dark waiting for the police to come.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 01:21:20 am »
Hope you've had the worst of it Roxy. Fingers crossed for you.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 11:35:42 am »
Rain has been horrendous here in Wales (unsurprisingly!). We are just over the Snowdonia border and there have been floods everywhere.  A man died at the weekend in Corwen when his car became trapped in the flood water.  Corwen is still cut off now.  We went to Barmouth (coast) at the weekend - Cardigan Bay usually has better weather and it was indeed, dry, but windy.  On the way through Snowdonia we went through numerous floods (we have a diesel car so no engine trouble), Bala lake was so high the car park was under 5' of water and we could just see the signs poking out of the water line and there were 2' waves washing in off the lake.  The river in the valley we overlook flooded on Saturday and became a lake although this has receded now and didn't affect anyone's property thankfully, although it came very close to flooding the petrol station/garage on the A5. Trying to feed the sheep is nightmarish - hay goes everywhere because of the wind - in your eyes, up your nose, in your hair...not nice!! And there is mud, mud and more mud..... Can't wait for the Spring - I'd rather have snow and ice that this. 

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 11:45:03 am »
our fields are flooded in Fife this morning as well.  We've also had/are having quite a lot of snow and sleet.  Couldn't turn the horses out so they are currently mooching around the yard with a makeshift electric fence to keep them in!  And the sheep are all congregated in their shelter. And as for the chickens...haven't seen them all morning!

The only animals that are enjoying it are the ducks!  they have so many ponds they don't know which one to go into next!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 12:09:54 pm »
Not nice here either. Sleety showers - but forecast to clear up this afternoon. ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 11:06:09 pm »
Looks like a lot of us were affected by the rain. Thankfully the river had dropped a good bit by this morning, but looking at the debris in the field, the water came a good way up.  I do wonder about a smallholder down in the village ....his place is right by the big river. He has pigs, and hens etc.  And goats.  Often see his ducks and geese enjoying the river.  Like me, he does not live on site, so it must be a worry for him too, when the river gets high .....his sheds are almost by the river!

Today its been a lot drier, but had galeforce winds.  Thought the stable roof was taking off (its already taken flight twice in the last couple of years)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS