Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Agricultural Colleges  (Read 8579 times)

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
Agricultural Colleges
« on: May 13, 2010, 11:09:26 pm »
I was just wondering if someone out there was able to suggest a few other Agricultural or landbased college's, other then the SAC in Aberdeen. I have a gut feeling that my chemistry exam did not go well at all so i am having to look at other careers and further education outwith the idea of becoming a Vet.

Thanks in advance

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Agricultural Colleges
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 11:11:50 pm »
There's Oatridge, at Ecclesmachan, down by Broxburn, supposed to be good and CSSA ran a couple of courses there last year - lambing was one. http://www.oatridge.ac.uk/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 12:09:02 am »
if your results are not what you needed talk to the uni. seek there advice. it shows that your determined. there maybe other routes. one that my daughter is thinking of doing is to do a vetenery nurses degree and then switch to medicine.

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 12:40:46 am »
Kirkley hall in northumberland Northumberland agricultural college... did ok for me
Ian

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 12:26:12 pm »
See if you can get in the premier agricultural college in the heart of the farming county RISEHOLME?
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 12:59:51 pm »
Elmwood College in Cupar  :&>

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 01:29:57 pm »
Sorry C. Riseholme is just to the North of the City of Lincoln Just off the A15 on the right going toward the Humber Bridge
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 04:14:17 pm »
There are 2 here in Yorkshire both quite good and reputable, Bishop Burton AC near Beverley/Hull and Askham Bryan Near Tadcaster/York way on
I went to Bishop for 4 years, its a very good agricultural college and recently has had loads of funding and invested loads in its farm and equine unit, i think also its the training ground for the england 2012 equestrian team? (or it put the bid in?)
Well worth a think about
good luck Cameron
Danielle

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 07:46:45 pm »
Broomfield Hall in Derbyshire.   aboriculture to dog-clipping!
How far from home are you thinking Cameron?!
Little Blue

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 10:16:35 pm »
To be honest i have not really considered how far away from home i want to be, in some respects i think further away is better, but then again being close to home means less transport costs.

Thanks for all the replies, a really big help, at least i know i am not really confined in choices (if that makes sense)  :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 10:23:13 pm »
If its any help, Cameron, we lived in rural Aberdeenshire and both my kids went away to Uni - St Andrews and Stirling -  2 years between them.  They both had a room in Halls of residence the first year, then we  bought flats for them and they had income from letting out the spare rooms.  I renewed my car each time and gave them the old one - after teaching them both to drive, of course.....  We didn't give them any top up money (we reckoned it might go on cigs or booze  ;) ;D) so we went down with a food box every now and then and took them out for a meal - they always used to take doggy bags home after wards too ;D ;D ;D  I reckon it was the best thing they did going away from home.  I stayed at home when I went to Uni and never really untied the apron strings. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 05:48:39 am »
A very long way from home for you would be the two agri colleges in this area.  Bicton, near Exeter and Duchy in Cornwall. 
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 07:11:28 am »
You will tell us where you go and how you get on won't you Cameron?

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 11:11:44 pm »
i will keep you posted, i still have a year to decide wether i stay on in school and do a 6th year, or leave and start college early, but it is good to get in ground work what ever i decide, though as things stand, i want to be leaving after 5th year.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 11:58:26 pm »
You need to get all your Highers in a oner for vet school, don't you?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS