Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Strawberries  (Read 7169 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Strawberries
« on: July 08, 2016, 01:02:45 am »
I'm sick to death of losing all my strawberries to slugs or earwigs, so I'm thinking of growing them above ground. I know they are shallow-rooted and I've seen pictures of them growing in containers on the wall, including guttering. I have a suitable wall. Has anyone tried growing them in guttering and, if so, how did it work out? I don't want to buy a lot and have it fixed only to find out it's a waste of time and money.

silkwoodzwartbles

• Joined Apr 2016
Re: Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 06:09:27 am »
My brother (who is a much better gardener than me) grows his in hanging baskets. That's what I'll be doing next year - looking after my mum's enormous raised bed full of strawberries for the last 2 weeks has wreaked havoc on my back from bending down and my sense of humour from throwing over half the crop away each day due to pests getting to them before me.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 09:08:18 am »
Thinking how quickly the peas I start off in guttering run out of root space and soil, I don't think guttering would give enough soil and nutrients per plant for a successful crop.  Isn't it mainly used for soilless production?  Hanging baskets would seem to be the only answer, to keep the fruit right out of the way of slugs and snails.  Don't cram too many plants in one basket, and feed frequently.
A barrel would still be in contact with the soil/ground so your pals could easily climb up, birds fly onto them too.  Also barrels are difficult to keep watered all the way down.

I gave up on outdoor strawbs partly because of slugs and snails, but also because I always had mildewed fruit and not much fruit anyway.  I now grow my strawbs inside the tunnel, with dry soil around the patch so the critturs can't cross to the plants.  We've had a fair crop this year, over now.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 09:10:21 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 09:46:50 am »
I've seen them grown very successfully in a pallet leaning against a wall.  Pallet is lined with plastic and the plants planted between the slats; they then trail down and as well as being delicious its very pretty if you have different coloured flowers.  I have mine in hanging baskets too, but they are susceptible to blackbirds, but the pallets can be protected by a net hung from above and protruding far enough out to stop the birds getting in.  It could also be a roll type that can be rolled up and hooked to the top for harvesting.

Just found this - full instructions!

http://www.savorylotus.com/how-to-build-a-wall-of-strawberries/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 09:53:34 am »
That looks great Doganjo. It may our answer as our land is incredibly weedy

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 10:05:09 am »
We grow ours in long thin planters (like the sort you might use for a windowbox). These sit on waist-high shelves in the polytunnel for easy picking, and also so we can grow other things below them.

Not only does this keep the slugs off them, it also lets us move them outside during the winter so the frost kills off the majority of the weevils and other pests.

We peg down any runners into new pots, and this gives us enough new plants each year to be self-sustaining. This method has worked well for us over many years  :thumbsup:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2016, 12:18:05 pm »
We grow ours in long thin planters (like the sort you might use for a windowbox). These sit on waist-high shelves in the polytunnel for easy picking, and also so we can grow other things below them.

Not only does this keep the slugs off them, it also lets us move them outside during the winter so the frost kills off the majority of the weevils and other pests.

We peg down any runners into new pots, and this gives us enough new plants each year to be self-sustaining. This method has worked well for us over many years  :thumbsup:
[member=2128]Womble[/member] what variety do you use? I tried many varieties and it didn't work, or doesn't it matter?
Thanks
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 11:19:20 pm »
I like the idea of the pallet wall. I did also wonder about window box type planters on brackets on the wall. I imagine it would be harder for slugs to climb a brick wall than a planter though. Maybe I'll go for that one.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 11:26:05 pm »
Have you ever lived in a brick house? Believe me slugs and snails have no problem with it whatsoever - I found a shelled small snail at shoulder height today on my back wall
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 01:18:51 am »
I have some in plant troughs, deeper than a window box type. Currently in greenhouse to ripen, and they can be fed along with tom's.
I've wondered about guttering as well, I would think they would need soil/compost replacing every year, but maybe worth it, pictures look good, rows of guttering on the side of the shed, lots of strawbs hanging down. (would weight of crop pull them out of trough?)  Or you can get a deeper guttering. Copper tape round the shed should keep slugs off, netting from shed roof keeps birds Off?  I think I've talked myself into it for next year :- ).
I have shelf on brackets on an outside wall, lots of potted plants, i do sometimes find slugs there, but not often

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 05:34:23 am »
Have you ever lived in a brick house? Believe me slugs and snails have no problem with it whatsoever - I found a shelled small snail at shoulder height today on my back wall

Exactly. I have snail trails all the way up to the chimney top above the first floor. Hanging baskets or pots/troughs on posts would be the most reliable.. with collars around the posts like the rat keeps on ships mooring lines.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 11:53:03 pm »

I can't say I've ever noticed any on my walls and I've lived in brick houses for years. Of course, there've never been any plants to attract them before. Is there anywhere the *** don't get?

Copper tape it is then.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 10:03:12 am »
We grow ours on the 'strawberry snake' with a drip irrigation pipe threaded through the bags for watering. The 'snake' is half length posts driven in every 2m with a 'T' cross bar on top and three lines of fencing wire stretched across the whole thing end-to-end. Strawberry sacks of compost sit on top of that with ten plants to a bag. In winter, we take the bags down and lie them on the ground as otherwise they blow off anyway in the wind!
Not sure if that description makes sense so have attached an old picture from one of our magazine articles in case that clears things up!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 11:20:22 am »
Womble what variety do you use?

I'm sorry, I don't know (wish I did, as they're great!). They were here when we bought the place. Some sort of early variety I think.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 02:18:48 pm »

I can't say I've ever noticed any on my walls and I've lived in brick houses for years. Of course, there've never been any plants to attract them before. Is there anywhere the *** don't get?

Copper tape it is then.
I've only seen them at the back mind you - south facing so maybe it's because it's warmer there?  Facing any other direction might be OK?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS