Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Strawberries  (Read 7170 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Strawberries
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 11:44:52 pm »
We grow ours on the 'strawberry snake' with a drip irrigation pipe threaded through the bags for watering. The 'snake' is half length posts driven in every 2m with a 'T' cross bar on top and three lines of fencing wire stretched across the whole thing end-to-end. Strawberry sacks of compost sit on top of that with ten plants to a bag. In winter, we take the bags down and lie them on the ground as otherwise they blow off anyway in the wind!
Not sure if that description makes sense so have attached an old picture from one of our magazine articles in case that clears things up!

I remember seeing them when we visited. It's what made me think of growing them off the ground in the first place.

And guess which way my garden faces? The back wall is always warm in summer. When the sun is shining at least.

Have you ever lived in a brick house? Believe me slugs and snails have no problem with it whatsoever - I found a shelled small snail at shoulder height today on my back wall

I can't say I've ever noticed any on my walls and I've lived in brick houses for years. Of course, there've never been any plants to attract them before. Is there anywhere the *** don't get?

Copper tape it is then.
I've only seen them at the back mind you - south facing so maybe it's because it's warmer there?  Facing any other direction might be OK?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Strawberries
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 08:08:39 pm »
Just watched recording of a repeat of country file from last Sunday, one of the first items was strawberries, grown about waist high?
Seemed to be in plant pots in troughs, with an irrigation line. Strawberries were MASSIVE!
Presumably on iplayer, worth watching for ideas.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS