Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 60x40x12 foot steel shed. Best sources?  (Read 5256 times)

richardtheboffin

• Joined Apr 2012
60x40x12 foot steel shed. Best sources?
« on: July 06, 2016, 09:27:14 pm »
I'm looking into a steel portal shed, approx 60x40x12 foot.

I have seen a load on ebay, mostly just the steel structure though, no cladding or roof, for as little as £2500.

Cladding at something like 4000 sq foot for the roof and three sides would be somewhere between £1500 to £2000.

So ignoring footings, fixings, gutters and floor it should be do-able for around £5k?

Any advise, thoughts or musings on this?

farmershort

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: 60x40x12 foot steel shed. Best sources?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 09:58:38 pm »
The ones on eBay may or may not be CE marked.

How high are you above sea level? Above 200m and you're supposed to use CE marked class 1 (industrial), and not the cheaper class 2 (agri).

Robinsons in Scotland are average priced.. but you're looking at 10k+ for class 1

richardtheboffin

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 10:14:36 pm »
The ones on eBay may or may not be CE marked.

How high are you above sea level? Above 200m and you're supposed to use CE marked class 1 (industrial), and not the cheaper class 2 (agri).

Robinsons in Scotland are average priced.. but you're looking at 10k+ for class 1

We are 40m above sea level. So class 2 is ok?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 07:48:27 am »
We got a Warings one.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 10:45:53 am »

I have seen a load on ebay, mostly just the steel structure though, no cladding or roof, for as little as £2500.

Cladding at something like 4000 sq foot for the roof and three sides would be somewhere between £1500 to £2000.

So ignoring footings, fixings, gutters and floor it should be do-able for around £5k?

We've put up 2 60' x 30' buildings in the last few years - the first an agricultural one under permitted development, and the second an industrial spec.

The ag spec one would have been about £5k in total without labour, but is slightly smaller than yours, and was just before the requirement for CE marking came in. So I doubt that a 60' x 40' kit at that price would be up to specification. But steel is cheap at the moment, so who knows. However, if you're doing it under permitted development you might get away with it. Ours, was supplied and fabricated by a local firm, and even without the CE mark is a very substantial building.
 The industrial spec one cost twice as much.

And before you all post and say "well are you going to scrimp and risk a building that may collapse under a load of snow etc? I would say use your common sense and put in extra roof and wall braces if you are in any doubt. People have been erecting substantial agricultural buildings for a long time, without them collapsing, before anyone had even dreamt of the kite mark.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 10:49:03 am by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

richardtheboffin

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 09:03:14 pm »

We've put up 2 60' x 30' buildings in the last few years - the first an agricultural one under permitted development, and the second an industrial spec.

The ag spec one would have been about £5k in total without labour, but is slightly smaller than yours, and was just before the requirement for CE marking came in. So I doubt that a 60' x 40' kit at that price would be up to specification. But steel is cheap at the moment, so who knows. However, if you're doing it under permitted development you might get away with it. Ours, was supplied and fabricated by a local firm, and even without the CE mark is a very substantial building.
 The industrial spec one cost twice as much.

And before you all post and say "well are you going to scrimp and risk a building that may collapse under a load of snow etc? I would say use your common sense and put in extra roof and wall braces if you are in any doubt. People have been erecting substantial agricultural buildings for a long time, without them collapsing, before anyone had even dreamt of the kite mark.

That's very interesting, thanks for sharing the info.

I'm not entirely sure what CE marking proves. My only experience with it is in electronics where it's all about EMC.

A previous reply mentions restrictions if above 200M asl.

We do get a bit of snow down here in Dorset but rarely and never thick. Wind loading would be more of an issue here, but even then it's never that severe.

richardtheboffin

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 10:20:47 pm »
Well having read a bit about CE marking, it's just a certification that the building is designed to some EuroCode standards. EN1993-1-3: Eurocode 3 appears to be the one required.

I don't quite understand why they wouldn't be subject to Structural Engineers calcs just like having an extension done or building a house?

A structural engineer would allow for snow loading and wind loading.

The classes appear to take into consideration the number of people likely to be in the building and how often, which seems like some attempt to mitigate risk of death when the roof collapses! Maybe they should just rule that no one should be inside when it's snowing!

It's interesting that its no illegal to buy a non CE marked building (although your insurance might be void) but it is illegal to sell one.

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2016, 06:52:25 am »
The farmer that shears my sheep is a part-time farmer.. has a couple of hundred ewes.. and works the rest of the time for a large Co that manufactures steel barns. We happened to be chatting in the pub a few weeks ago and i was suprised that the large Co he works for doesn't do the design work.... all the barns they make have to be designed to meet CE requirements and apparently it's down to the buyer to provide the specs via  an architect/structural engineer before they fabricate.

(it so hapens he was moaning that they architect had just changed the specs for the floor to be raised 180mm and they had to weld all the holes and redrill etc. The the end user was complaining about delays and they sent the gang out over the w/e to erect the thing only to have the architect change his mind back to the original design.. so they had to tear down the thing and put all the holes back to where they had been!!  I bet the end owner wasn't going to be happy with architect at all that extra cost)

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 01:03:17 pm »
Hope the figures were useful...are your plans taking shape ?   Attached are some pics of mine part way through construction.

I've realised that the price for steel I gave you included about £400 of steel for another job
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 09:44:22 pm by stufe35 »

Mely

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 02:47:26 pm »
This guy supplied my 60x30 near cheddar. RSM agricultural buildings 07732120123. He keeps them in stock along with timbers and cladding.

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/RsMAgriculturalBuildings/?fref=ts

He's quiet but gives an excellent price and service.

I tried buying a cheap ebay one and ended up either not being able to actually buy one at the price given or viewing rubbish and leaving it.

You should study CE legislation. If you are a smallholder with the intention of using it for himself and/or his family you do not need CE approval. Most suppliers will tell you you do need it as its probably in their interest to do so. You can not build it with the intention of subletting it to the public. If however your circumstance change after construction and you choose to sublet the building, thats also ok, but the council will want a change of use recorded so they can profit from your work.

If you want to go the CE way you must use a CE approved installer and every item used in construction must also have CE certificate. That includes stone, nails and bolts. Failing to do this invalidates the approval.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS