Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much land????????????  (Read 2491 times)

markoc22

• Joined May 2009
How much land????????????
« on: May 10, 2010, 03:51:47 pm »
Trying to convince er indoors that we really do the the 6.5 acres on offer and not the 1 acre she would prefer we had (due to finances).
Looking for reasons,ideas,help as to how we can utilise the extra 5.5 acres financially to our benefit.
Please bear in mind though I've never farmed before!!!!!!!! :o

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: How much land????????????
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 05:53:08 pm »
How much land? 

That's a bit like asking 'how long is a piece of string'.  I'm afraid I can't offer any another advice than to say that however much land you have it is never enough.   :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 06:59:17 pm »
Depending on where you are and what condition the land's in there are LOADS of things you can do !
It's better to get it now, than find in a few years you're wishing you had done  ;)
As for what to do -
rent it out to local farmers
rent it out to horse owners (if you've any way to provide stables/field shelters you'll get a premium rental)
Plant it with trees (financial return a few years down the line)
Raise some livestock (though will need much more involvement and higher initial outlay than the other options)
Like Julie says - you can NEVER have enough land  ;D

spitfire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 07:36:04 pm »
Agreed.
we bought our 7 acres 2 years ago and sat and looked at it for a year, 7 acres- what on earth are we going to do to cut the grass never mind what are we actually going to use it or.

then we decided to have some pigs so we fenced a bit off for them to turn over,
then i wanted to plant food so we fenced another bit off for a kitchen garden with greenhouse and polytunnel (polytunnel blew away but thats another story-mark 2 on the way)
then we bought some sheep as mobile grass cutters and they lambed this year so we now have double the sheep we should have on the postage stamp of land that is left and need to fence it off to rotate the sheep on to manage it better etc etc.

I would now happily have bought double our 7 acres now and (as has already been said)it still wouldn't be enough!!!
the more land you have, the more options you have to manage it and if you can't decide now- renting out is as good an option as any and provides a small income while you make your mind up

does that help?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 06:53:36 am »
Just get some pigs.   :D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 07:22:23 am »
If you can afford it, buy it. No-one's making land any more so you won't lose in the longterm and if you miss the opportunity, you'll regret it. Trust me.

As suggested, rent it out initially - beware horses make a mess if not properly managed. But as you get into this, you'll be brimming with ideas.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS